When is the next gen Mac Book due?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by juro, Nov 11, 2007.

1. juro macrumors member

Long time iMac G5 user, but finally mulling the idea of getting a portable...

Not really in a rush so I was just wondering if the next generation Mac Books are due anytime in the next three months or so. I know the current gen has been around for awhile so I would rather that I get the next one.

Thanks.

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

they JUST came out within the past 2-3 weeks, you got a good 6-8 months...

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yeh, they just updated them the other day, new graphics chips, faster CPUs, new chipset etc...

You're safe for the next 6-8 months or so, possibly more :)

5. juro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, guys.

So no chance a new gen will come out at Mac World in January?

I'm only asking because this is exactly what happenned to me when I got an iMac G5 with iSight in Nov. of 2005, only to have the new intel iMacs out in January of 2006.

6. ale500 macrumors regular

It is very unlikely that they will upgrade them _again_ in Jan. Especially because they got all new features from the Pro line (except what makes the Pro Pro, of course). Same max mem and HDs, same procs (not speed) and chipset.
    They should update the MacPro 2 times instead !
    If you need it, buy it, next update will probably bump proc speed to 2.2/2.4. Not a lot :-(, and will be in May or so, if they follow the trend :)

I got the last Nov MB. This update does not shake it, but I'd buy next gen MacBookPro that may come in Jan, when they sorted the LCD problems...

7. smadder macrumors member

Ditto!

They have yet to implement some of the elegant and new design features of the MB into the MBP (flat keyboard, removable HD, magnetic latch-free closure). The MB, by comparison is still very new in terms of design. The guts just got a major overhaul about two weeks ago and I actually ebayed my 2.16 to get the latest 2.2 Santa Rosa chipset MB. As a long-time MB user it was worth it for the improved graphics and faster bus speed & officially supported 4GB RAM capability. As another person said above, now is an excellent time to buy one, especially the midline white model (I love the black one but refuse to blow an extra $200 for it when that $$ could go towards an warranty, more RAM, etc.). Out of the box, that model is ready to rock.

I think it's going to be a good while before they do a major external overhaul to the MBs design. One thing they could change w/out an entire case re-design would be a larger LED-based screen. The bezel on the 13.3" is huge, so there is room to do it. But outside of that and chipset upgrades, I don't think there's going to be a design overhaul for a while. Esp since the MBP is almost identical in structure and design to the very last model of the PowerBook and is LONG overdue for a redesign. Esp with all of the heat issues that are popping up everywhere.