When is the next MAJOR OS change?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by laszlo, Mar 29, 2008.

1. laszlo macrumors newbie

So when are we getting the next big OS change...the one where we have to go out and buy all new program Apps in order to stay current...like from OS9 to OSX....that really screwed up people who weren't or couldn't afford to uprade all the Apps just to run efficiently on OSX?

I'm looking at the new mac pro 8core and wonder how soon after I buy this is going to need the overhaul....is it when the Penryn is released??????

Anyone knowor want to guess?

Laz

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you believe Steve's comments about OS X, we've got a good 12-15 years before the underlying architecture is likely to be changed to something else. Then again, it could be as little as 5-7 years, the way things go. Just not this particular Tuesday, anyway.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Even if it were tomorrow, you wouldnt have a problem with an 8 core Mac Pro.

4. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

5. laszlo thread starter macrumors newbie

I really do not believe anything out of a company president's mouth...they are in it for the money and market share....you wait I'll bet they are already halfway through designing the next platform, ready for release in 2010...they have to stay ahead of PC platforms or come up with on better...always or they will sink.

5-7 seems to be the norm time frame for major change, but competition in tech is getting VERY competitive. I guess well see. My guess is 2010.

laz

6. laszlo thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupid question don't you think?
    Look at OS9 to OSX?
    Back then you probably thought the same thing...right?

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

I'll take that bet. ;)

The underpinnings of OS X are more than sufficient to take the platform out at least ten more years--don't forget, the original Unix will be 40 years old next year, and it's only gotten better. The user interface may change dramatically, but we won't see Unix disappearing from Apple in the foreseeable future. Windows, on the other hand, is in dire need of a major overhaul/rewrite. Unless they have something that can compete/compare with a *nix environment, Apple will likely remain ahead of the competition for a long time. I don't think Steve gives too much of his concern about market share, honestly. He's in it for being better & right, not being "biggest".

2010? OS X 10.6.x, more probably. Certainly not XI (or whatever).

8. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Well that would be something interesting so I would look forward to the obsolescence. It will seem like an eternity in computer years.

9. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

Wrong. Compared to the level of OS technology and knowledge of the day, OS 9 was a dinosaur.

OS X is just the opposite, being one of the most advanced consumer OS's on the market. It'll be some time before it becomes a brontosaurus.

10. bootedbear macrumors 6502

bootedbear

And yes, I know that the proper modern name is actually apatosaurus.

11. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Read your mind.

12. Say What?? macrumors member

fly
    laser vision
    dodge bullets

13. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Do a bit more reading up on computers and operating systems. You're probably more familiar with Windows where the "major change" is the release of a new operating system like XP or Vista. Even in those cases, MS works very hard for most applications to be cross-compatible between the two.

As far as OS X goes, you really have nothing to worry about, at all. Windows has been using DOS and .NET since it came out. Mac OS X introduced Unix as the core underpinnings of its OS. Unix has been around a long time and it's generally regarded as the best thing to use for the basis of an operating system. OS X is not going to get old for a while. Windows' DOS and .NET are getting old now.

Until something better than Unix comes along, OS X will stay current. You seriously have nothing to worry about. And trust me, you'll hear about it from this forum long before anything major changes. Unix is here for a while.