When is the next MBP update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phas3, Jan 10, 2013.

  1. phas3 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #1
    Wondering when the next 13" updates will be? I currently have a 2012 non retina 13" MacBook Pro. Which I only use for regular day to day task. However I really want a retina lol; should I sell off my MBP and get a retinae should I wait for the next update?

    Or should I buy some ram and an ssd for my current MBP?
     
  2. ramram55 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2012
    #3
    Instead of guessing when the next upgrade, why not get the ram and ssd to the current one and see how it works for you, I am sure it will be lot faster, if you still want the retina you can still go for it. I doubt much improvement will be done to the current retina for this year. To apple it is like car manufacturer keep changing style and engine size, consumers get suck in.
     
  3. Weaselboy Moderator

    Weaselboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2005
    Location:
    California
    #4
    The next update will likely coincide with the release of Intel's new Haswell chipset, and that is looking to be in the June timeframe.
     
  4. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #5
    And once Haswell's out, people will wonder if they should wait until Broadwell. :p
     
  5. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    #6
    Broadwell won't be worth it! any smart person knows to wait for Stairwell.
     
  6. sno1man macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2011
    #7
    Bah! I'm waiting for the 4d enabled "Wishingwell":p
     
  7. mikecorp macrumors 6502

    mikecorp

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2008
    #8
    Do you think apple will add fusion drive to MacBook Pro!?
     
  8. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #9
    I doubt they would add Fusion drive, that's just a half-way house. They're already on SSD-only machines and are unlikely to look back.
     
  9. el-John-o macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2010
    Location:
    Missouri
    #10
    When Apple released the Macintosh in 1984 I was all like "Yeah, that's cool, but just you watch there'll be a 512k version!"

    Glad I waited, but of course I didn't buy then, I knew they'd shift to PPC architecture. I was right! Of course I couldn't buy then, because I just knew, I just KNEW something new would come out. OS 8! Look at that! An awesome, advanced new OS. But, you know, then there was the whole management shakeup, and Steve came back... announcing Rhapsody.. oh yeah, I'm waiting.

    So then Rhapsody comes out.. late.. but no, no, I gotta wait, wait for the G6.

    What's this??? The G6 is an Intel CPU??? Oh man, DEFINITELY can't buy now, gotta wait for the multi-core Intel chips to make it into the Mac...

    It's been a roller coaster ride, but I STILL haven't bought a Mac computer yet. Waiting for the right time, seems like any time I consider buying one there's another one in the pipeline 6-18 months afterwards. Imagine if I bought one now, and several months to a year from now a new one came out? That would just be silly wouldn't it.
     
  10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #11
    This made me lol..., well chuckle.
     
  11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

    tshrimp

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2012
    #12
    The problem with any type of technology purchase is you can always wait and something better will come along. But June/July is a while off. As for me I bought the non retina, as I couldn't tell that much of a difference. Colors actually looked a bit better on the non ret while the res looked better on the ret, but this could be contributed to my bad eyesight :).

    Either way I am happy with my MBP and will hope not to get caught up in trying to always have the best and most up to date. That will makes for a broke man.
     
  12. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #13
    I'm so torn! Sell my MBP and get the rMBP 13" or just keep it...:(
     
  13. PEN10k macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2012
    Location:
    Denmark
    #14
    I wouldn't recommend getting the 13" retina. The specs are so dissapnointing for a computer at that price.

    Keep your computer and wait for a 13" rMBP update to come. No one knows when, but I'm almost sure that you will get better value for your money.
     
  14. Ploki macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #15
    I'm certain that it will. There is no other reason for them to keep an empty space under the trackpad if 5mm hybrid drive wasn't planned.

    They need an entrylevel 13" Pro. cutting the price for 300$ down is perfect with no SSD.
     
  15. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2008
    #16
    I guess I'll just wait...but I played with the retina today and it was nice and the SSD does wonders to application loading times. The display was quite amazing.
     
  16. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #17
    The 13" rMBP was announced at the end of October, not three months ago, and you're already waiting for a new one?
     
  17. Mr MM macrumors 65816

    Mr MM

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2011
    #18
    same here
     
  18. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #19
    I'm playing the waiting game. But not for that 13" crayon box. Waiting for the 15" retina monster. Been waiting 6 months so far. Need the 2nd generation or no sale. People say there won't be much of a difference. But I'm waiting. A lot of people say they're happy with their retina. But others say it's half baked. The current hardware was not ready for the retina. Etc. maybe they are right, maybe they are wrong. But for $2,600 ITR (Including tax & Ram) I'm not taking a chance. I'm sure it's going to be worth the wait. Haswell, 15% faster CPU, 50% GPU, probably a 512 SSD, bugs worked out that I don't even know about and perhaps more like a better camera, tweaked cooling, etc. And I'm sure the next one will be better in 2014, but I can't possibly wait that long. My 2009 MBP is in it's death throes
     
  19. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    #20
    Haswell chips for mobile devices are rumored to not be ready until the fall. The retina is a new, flagship product that just came out. I think it more likely they'll upgrade the Airs first, probably during the summer and the MBPs just prior to the Christmas shopping season of 2013.

    Those who want to wait, if you have a perfectly good working computer there's no need to buy right away. You're not going to gain anything though so that's not a reason to wait in upgrading. You're always going to be the same time-distance away from your next upgrade no matter when you buy your next computer.

    You're always on a depreciation slide from the moment you buy a computer so if you are planning to upgrade 2 years from when you buy a computer (for example) you're no better or worse off no matter when in the production cycle you buy your computer. If you buy 6 months in the current cycle and sell two years later you're going to be in the midst of some future cycle, the same as if you buy at the beginning of the next cycle. Two years later who knows what point you will be in the next cycle. It is always better to make use of current technology and upgrade in a cycle that meets with your financial ability. For me that's about 2 years and I don't really care where I'm at in a cycle because it's largely irrelevant. The only time I would pay attention is if something came out a few weeks after I bought a new product.

    The current MBP computers really devour every program I've thrown at them. I've heard of some gaming issues in high scaled modes but that would probably tax most any laptop - hard core gamers should probably be playing on desktops with the latest GPU, 32gb of ram and an external 27" monitor anyway.
     
  20. tillsbury macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2007
    #21
    Agreed. The depreciation of these machines is so slow anyway compared with most computers. This however goes in steps, so it's always a good idea to buy at the front of the upgrade so you get the maximum use out of the price -- the rMBP is still the same price now as 6 months ago and will be for another 6 months, at which point it'll look a bit expensive. I believe there'll be a minor upgrade this year, probably not dramatic, and then a more significant upgrade later. But like everyone else I'm guessing.

    The question is also whether Apple need an upgrade at the moment, or whether they're better off spending more time on the Pro, the mini, the Airs, etc...
     
  21. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #22

    I'm counting on you being wrong about the rMBP update coming out for the Christmas shopping season. The latest reports, and there were many last week, say the RMBP is being updated in June. Of course that doesn't mean S%#£. It wasn't a announcement coming from Apple. We'll know for sure after the June convention, I am guessing. But it's only fair that they update this thing 1 yr after releasing a half baked expensive as S#%£ product.
     
  22. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2011
    #23
    Even today here on Macrumors they are saying Q3, not Q2. Q2 would be a crazy update cycle. I'm betting on a September or October announcement with a early November availability as the most likely scenario.
     
  23. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

    adjeff8

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2012
    #24
    I'm dying a slow death here. But today I went to the Apple store to get my phone fixed and I played with the 15" retina for 45 mins. What a monster. Compared the two screens. No comparison. Did speed tests. Well, it has a SSD so that wasn't fair. But what surprised me was the speakers. Easily 3X as loud as the cMBP. People were actually asking me to turn it down. Can't wait for June. Or July. Or August. Or September. Or October. Or...Oh God
     

Share This Page