When is the next Touch coming out?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by techmonkey, Jul 18, 2008.

1. techmonkey macrumors 6502a

Any rumors on when the next iPod Touch is coming out? I want one for the App Store, but Im hoping they add Bluetooth and GPS to the next version. Does anyone make a GPS addon for the Touch?

2. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

the touch will surely get updates. GPS and Bluetooth wont happen.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

4. Tragedies macrumors 6502

Yeah, there's a good bet it'll be updated mid-September.

However, don't expct any huge updates. Maybe 64GB, or the back of the iPod Touch changed a bit, but nothing much to add.

Currently you can buy iPod touchs for very cheap new on eBay, most probably due to high demand for iPhone and less for iPod touch (plus many students getting a free touch) so you can buy one now for real cheap. Your choice.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

GPS and Bluetooth won't happen because
    1. They waste a hell of a lot of battery life
    2. They aren't needed in the iPod
    3. They decrease differences between the iPod touch/iPhone
    If you want a touch, get it now, the software is the killer thing about it, and that's where most of the additional functionality is going to come from for a few years. Many hardware updates won't happen, but the software will be updated for presumably years.

However, if you must wait for a hardware update, expect one mid-to-late September or October. Again though, minor updates.

Ace:apple:

6. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Have you seen any specific ones on ebay? Please PM me if you seen one super cheap. Thanks.

7. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

THANK YOU for saying that I am in SHOCK when people actually think the iPod will get GPS or camera!!!! Come on people , the ipod Touch will be first and foremost a MUSIC PLAYER!! GEEZ! okay over :D

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Except that when I first heard of cell phones with cameras, I thought to myself, "Why camera? They are PHONES!" But now you can't find a cell phone w/o a camera. So what is an expected feature in a device can shift over time. Who knows? Someday all ipods might come with cameras, whether we want one or not.

9. techmonkey thread starter macrumors 6502a

Umm...no. If you just want a music player, then buy a Nano. The Touch is geared towards video and now the App store. With some of the new apps, you could say the Touch is more like a PDA than a music player.

10. kymac macrumors 6502a

kymac

actually this isnt always true.. if i remember correctly last years ipod updates happened nearly a week before the promo ended..

edit: so i checked and the ipods were updated on Sept. 5 and the promo ended Sept. 16 so thats eleven days earlier