when is there going to be a macbook in aluminum?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matthewcap, Jan 16, 2008.

1. matthewcap macrumors member

just wondering when they are going to change the plastic macbook to an aluminum one?, isnt everything else aluminum already, why wouldnt have they changed it already?

2. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Likely to prevent consumer confusion with the MacBook Pro line.

3. matthewcap thread starter macrumors member

but just leave everything else the same, because apple seems to be going in the all aluminum design, so why not change the macbook to fit that design style?

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

http://upc.*************/uploads/macros/hellFrozen.JPG (that's: when hell freezes over)

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

+1. You'll see an aluminum Macbook when you see an aluminum iBook--never.

6. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I don't know about aluminium but I think it is possible that they might move away from white either to all black or something else entirely.

Whatever they do, it will be distinctive from the MBP line.

Then again, with many accessories, even the newly announced ones retaining the white look, I can also see them sticking with white for a while longer.

I know my girl will be gutted if they move away from white. She likes having a unique notebook, in terms that no/few manufacturers have anything like it.

David

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

You are just jealous.. I like the fact that Apple keeps making white products.

By the way its not "plastic".. Poly-carbon is something else than regular plastic..

8. Queso macrumors G4

I don't know. The original PB12" was essentially an iBook with a slot-drive and a G4 inside, both of which were later incorporated into the iBook itself.

Just means it might be called something else when they release it. Something like MacBook Radon as it'll be like an MBA only heavier ;)

9. CF Fighter macrumors member

I seem to remember hearing Apple wanting to get their entire product line in aluminum by end of 2008, which most likely means around November will get the change over. They are trying to become "green" and on the apple site where it discusses their desire to do so they talk about how all displays will be LED lit by the end of 08 as well.

10. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Apple could differentiate the MB from the MBP through colors. Just imagine, nano-colored MacBooks. >.> That might not look that good, though...

11. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

yeah, thats exactly what the Steve said...

12. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Aluminum is preferred to plastic for environmental reasons.
    Eventually Aluminum will be cheaper than plastic if the demand for oil continues to exceed the supply.

The MacBook Air will probably replace the affordable MacBook when the price of the components (compact C2D and SSD) drops to a more affordable level.

Also, I can't imagine that the slow iPod HDD will remain the standard boot drive forever; Apple wants to provide consumers with the faster and more reliable SSD.
    In fact, I'd be surprised if ALL Macs don't eventually feature the 64MB SSD as a boot/application drive, with a second high capacity SATA HDD for documents and user files.