When is there going to be a new macbook pro/air release?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by johnnymike24, Feb 5, 2010.

1. johnnymike24 macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

Being new to this forum, I didn't throughly look for an answer to my question prior to creating my thread. But after searching I realized that there are thousands of threads which ask identical questions as the one I just posted. Thus, I thought that I would stop contributing to the repetition and give it a rest. Thanks to all of those who did provide a helpful response to my question.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Technology wisely, the update should come very soon as all three major manufacturers (Intel, ATI, nVidia) have released new products which are suitable for laptops so basically the update can come at any time. On the other hand, it would make no sense to update laptops now because of iPad ecstasy and hassle plus new laptops would probably steal iPads sells.

I'm guessing late March or April because that would be ideal time because of Back to School Promo which kicks off on May-June, but of course, just my guess and nobody knows the truth except Apple

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Embarassed by the giant ipod touch he tried to pass off as a new revolutionary device, and afraid to innovate further Jobs has decided to keep the current models and specs until he retires :D

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

6. johnnymike24 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

I agree. Granted, I haven't seen the iPad in person but it just looks like an over-glorified iPod touch!

7. johnnymike24 thread starter macrumors newbie

johnnymike24

Also, I do have two more questions for all you mac gurus. The mac that I am planning on purchasing in the next few weeks will be my first so I am not sure how apple usually releases it's products. Given this:

1) What day of the week are new apple products usually released? For instance, if I remember correctly new cds are typically released on Tuesdays, movies are usually released in the theaters on Fridays, etc. Does Apple do something similar, i.e. when new products are released are they always announced on the same day of the week?

2) When the new macbook pros come out will they be available for purchase immediately and will I be able to get one right away or do they typically sell out leaving a large number of customers unable to purchase one?

8. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

Honestly, NOBODY knows. And I'm (probably many more too) starting to feel really tired of all this threads asking: when? when?? WHEN?.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Usually Tuesdays

2. I think it'll be available in 24 hours after they have released them because it would make no sense to announce an update and ship them two months later especially because this is just an update (iPhone/iPad updates are different because they have to do deals with carriers etc but not with Macs)

10. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Yeah - just like the 30" Cinema Display. I don't see what the big deal is - it just looks like an over-glorified version of my phone's screen!

11. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

12. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

Actually as Eric says: it's not that hard to search really. But anyway: back to the OP: maybe you could check MR Buyer's Guide and check for the desired product refresh dates, so you could "guess" a date.

13. gman901 macrumors 6502a

If the MBP refresh comes out in April, I may skip the Ipad and upgrade my laptop instead. Why spend $700 toward an ipad when you can use the money for a sweet laptop!