When is worth it to sell used electronics?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SouthernMac, May 13, 2008.

1. SouthernMac macrumors member

Nov 25, 2007
    I just want to know some opinions... When is worth it to sell a used piece of electronics as far a pricing goes? Should you sell when you can get 2/3 of the price? 1/2?

I know there will be a lot of "well, it depends..." answers, but in your opinion when does the sentimental/it's not worth selling at this low price value of an item outweigh the cash that you would get for it?
  2. Styyl macrumors newbie

May 5, 2008
    I personally have to say that's the best time to sell an electronic device is soon after you buy it and only if you didn't like it. After that point, it's basically yours until it because obsolete. I never sell any of the devices that I end up keep; at most, I give my pass my old stuff down when I replace them.
  3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I sell when I need money or feel like I can still get a good buck on it.

I'm not going to bother trying to sell way outdated electronics like a VCR. I'd give it away or throw it away.
  4. bc008 macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2007
    if its not an apple product, i would probably hold on to it.
    apple products hold their value better then almost any other electronic.

the best time would have to be before or soon after a keynote. the general public doesnt know when a new ipod or mac is coming out quite like the macrumors commumity does.
  5. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
  6. macwall macrumors 6502

Nov 5, 2007
    Cupertino, CA
    Yeah I don't think it really makes much sense to sell things if you're still getting utility out of them. If you're not using them then that's the time to sell.