When it comes to your iLife...is it about form or function?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by cmoncam, Nov 26, 2012.

1. cmoncam macrumors newbie

I can't be alone in grading my Mac products and accessories along the axes of both form - how it looks, how it travels, how it feels - and function. When it comes to devices, cases, add-ons, etc., where do you turn for the nicest looking package? And how clunky a look will you accept in exchange for an unbeatable idea or use?

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

It has to have a nice blend of form & function for me. I want it to look right but also function as well.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It really depends on a case-by-case basis. There isn't a hard rule that I apply to all products and situations.

Not sure how you intend to discuss this. What's clunky to one may not be to the next.

4. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Personally, I couldn't give a rodent's posterior about form. It's about function all the way.

Edit- I just noticed this in the iPhone forum. No iPhone here- my Nokia 1100 does just a good a job of making voice calls.

5. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ironic that you are even on an apple forum at all.

If you ask Dieter Rams or Jonny Ive, you will probably hear that the two are not mutually exclusive, are rather inextricably connected, and at the very least, that in the best designs, form follows function.

Alas, so many people have zero interest in good design, and cover their beautifully, thoughtfully designed iPhones in the most awful, gaudy, and tacky cases.

6. TCU macrumors newbie

On the esthetics front, I'd like to walk around with no case and fully enjoy the beauty, slimness, and lightweight epicness of my new-fangled iphone

Then on the protective front, I want it to be 100% protected from 4ft drops.

I think for me it's 50-50. I can't imagine walking around with an otterbox, just as I can't see myself using no case.

Naturally there's a happy medium, but what differentiates everyone is weather a screen protector is enough, or an ultra thin air, or perhaps a candyshell?..

7. cmoncam thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what is hardest for me too! The phone itself is so pretty I hate to put it in anything. I have seen a bunch of high-functionality cases that either add protection or other useful tools to the phone, but they're almost always not as good looking as the phone itself.