When iTunes goes all iTunes+, will EVERYTHING be a 265 bit rate?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gotzaiPhone, Jan 7, 2009.

1. gotzaiPhone macrumors member

As the title says, will everything be only available at a 256 bit rate or will there still be a 128 bit rate option. I do realize that the sound quality is better with the 256 bit rate, but I have A LOT of CDs that I'd have to re-rip at a 256 bit rate to match the quality of all the new iTunes+ songs if iTunes+ is the only songs available eventually.

I'm also concerned about space as my iPhone is my only iPod and I'm limited to space on that too. I tried calling apple support, but they didn't know what I was talking about, so any help/answers would be great.

Thanks.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

All the songs will be at 256-Kbps. If the file sizes are too big for you, you can always convert them to a lower bit rate using iTunes.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If 128 sounds acceptable to you why would you have to re-rip all of your CDs at 256?

Lethal

4. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

my sentiments exactly. I think that you won't be able to tell the difference if you're listening on your iphone with the standard headphones.

I use the well regarded er6i, and i can't tell the difference for the most part (I have "relatively" young ears) and have a keen ear (as an amateur-ish musician)

5. gotzaiPhone thread starter macrumors member

I guess that I'm just worried that if I have half of each, when I use a genius playlist or any other playlist for that matter, the sound quality difference would be noticable between songs when I crank it up on my car/home stereo.

6. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i suggest you just do your own experiment. burn 6 songs on a cdr or put it on a playlist. 3 songs at 2 different bitrates, each. Have a friend randomly order the songs, and see if you can tell for yourself.

geeky? yes, but it might save you hours and hours of time trying to re-rip your collection.

Since you indicate you blast your music, i guess you listen to rock/rap, where, frankly, nuances and subtlety aren't that important. Kid Rock still screeches at 128kbps and 256kbps. Heavy Bass is still heavy bass.

Classical/Jazz music, on the other hand, has a much higher range of volume, and where you'll hear 1 or 2 instruments at a time. Especially for "vintage" recordings where you'll be able to hear coughing if it is a live performance.