When I've becomes vie

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caubeck, Sep 23, 2010.

1. caubeck macrumors 6502

Quite often typing "I've" leads to "vie." I've tried to work out when this occurs exactly but it's hard to reproduce, and then of course it happens again when I'm not watching for it.

Anyone else find this? Any theories?

2. brulafu macrumors member

Vie had this before......(kidding)

Seriously though I have and I'll try and see it happening again.

Its the mr instead of me that annoys me !!

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It will chAnge it even if I've (ha, that one did I've from i v e , figures) typed it right.

Drives me bonkers and glad it just isn't me it happens too!

4. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Too bad we cant edit the dictionary. THAT would be sweet.

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

And don't forget the ever popular hell becomes he'll. Stupid auto-correcting. ;)

6. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

I've never come across this on my iPad or iPhone. I don't wish to be patronising but could it be a typo? It's fairly common to reverse a couple of letters when typing quickly.

7. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

This is the most likely scenario as I've never had an issue. But I do constantly forget to switch to English after typing in German (or vice versa) and because I can't touch type I end up with the most awkward sentences!

8. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Not a typo in my case. I type carefully with one or two fingers and have seen the replacement happen before my eyes. In fact I've just reproduced it in this post, but couldn't do it twice.

Maybe by now all our user dictionaries are a little different.

9. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually come to think of it, vie (ha! happened again) vie (and again) I've (not that time) vie (again) I've (back to normal) often typed words and short phrases from foreign languages with the English keyboard. Perhaps this has had some strange effect.

If I write the letters "i e v" I get "keV" (whatever that is) and "v e i" brings up "vie" while "e i v" just gives me "eiv". Slowly I type: I've I've I've I've vie (ha, the fifth one didn't work).

Anyway, very entertaining. Back to work now...

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not only does this happen about 99% of the time for me, I get e-mails from people where it happens and I know it came from their iPad. It never happens on my iPhone.

11. IrishTiger macrumors regular

Yes mine does it too. It drives me insane. What the he'll is up with that? And yes I wrote that on purpose. That drives me nuts too. lol

12. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

This happens to me all the time! The first few times I just thought i was being rubbish at typing, but no. Also he'll is so annoying, that happens on my iphone too though. Vie is an iPad exclusive though :p

13. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

Recently I discovered "tidies" gives me "tidied." I can't use the third person form of the verb. Maybe I once corrected one to the other in an email but surely that's not a good reason.

14. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I've turned off the auto correction and auto capitalization on mine, but I may turn the autocap back on. Hell, I guess we'll just have to see how thing go.

15. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I turned that **** off after the second day. No auto anything.

16. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I really wish we could edit the dictionary. "Mire" is one word i wish i could delete from the dictionary. I will never use the word, but i often get it when trying to type "more." Oh well.

In the case of your "vie," it could be a problem with the iPad learning your usage. if you type a word it doesn't know more than like 3 times, it adds it to the dictionary, and then maybe the more you use it, the more it gets priority. So maybe its used "vie" so many more times than "I've" that it thinks that is what you want. You could try reseting the dictionary in settings. This returns the dictionary to stock and you will have to teach it the words you want again. i've done it a few times on mine.

17. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

No, You have no idea how bad the dictionary is..... I am an australian studying a business course and i take notes on the ipad all the time.

I type the word "organise" a lot (yes with an S)

As soon as i type this, the ipad auto corrects it to "organize" (ohhh americans)

I can deal with that cause i can still read it fine, but as soon as it auto corrects to Z a red squiggle comes under it and tells me to correct it to an S???!!!

What is the deal Apple? seriously!

18. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

The first time I ever wrote "vie" deliberately was in my post above. In fact it wasn't initially clear to me it was the verb "to vie" at all, it just looked like a mess. I reset the dictionary when I reinstalled the OS but it hasn't changed anything.

19. caubeck thread starter macrumors 6502

As a writer and translator from London I should use the S all the time, too, but technology in general has pushed me into adopting the American way for the sake of speed. it's not just the iPad, it's Google and spellchecking in general. Digitalization will eventually change the spelling system of whole nations.

Think of books published by Penguin UK and Penguin New York. Proofreading on the whole has gotten worse over the years, I am sure they're not going to invest man hours in altering spelling conventions. (In fact I know they don't from experience.)