Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I have read some reviews saying that keys those colorful silicone keyboard covers do not match the location of the real keys exactly. As a result, then the letters on the keys are grow, users can see ugly mismatch in letter on the keys and open-letter on the keyboard cover. How come there is such issue?

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Because you're not supposed to use silicon covers on 2016 Macbooks or newer.

The tolerances have shrunk and there's not enough space between the keys and the screen. With a silicon cover, it'll touch the screen and scratch it over time.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Because you're not supposed to use silicon covers on 2016 Macbooks or newer.

The tolerances have shrunk and there's not enough space between the keys and the screen. With a silicon cover, it'll touch the screen and scratch it over time.

What does the issue have to do with the screen?

The issue I am mentioning is the letters on the silicon cover does not match the keys on the keyboard. When the back-light is on, the user see on each key, the letters do not fully overlap each other.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Are you asking why a company would make a keyboard cover with keycaps that do not match the actual keys?
Probably because they don't make a different item for all possible language variations in a manufacturer's keyboards.
If you think there will be some result, you can complain to the company that makes that keyboard cover.

Or, you can remove the cover when you need to use the keyboard backlight.
Or, don't use the keyboard backlight.

I'm a long-time touch typer, so the various letters on the keys aren't too necessary for me (plus, I never use a keyboard cover)

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Are you asking why a company would make a keyboard cover with keycaps that do not match the actual keys?
Probably because they don't make a different item for all possible language variations in a manufacturer's keyboards.
If you think there will be some result, you can complain to the company that makes that keyboard cover.

Or, you can remove the cover when you need to use the keyboard backlight.
Or, don't use the keyboard backlight.

I'm a long-time touch typer, so the various letters on the keys aren't too necessary for me (plus, I never use a keyboard cover)

Yes.

I am talking about English version of keyboard cover for English version of MBP.

tehStickMan

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2018
Australia
Maybe it's a poor quality cover. We can't help you there. Contact the seller.

What I'm saying though, is that you shouldn't close the lid of 2016+ Macbooks with the cover inside.

Reactions: Mockletoy

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you have a new keyboard cover, and it is not acceptable to you, then either return it, or don't use it.

Maybe the company that makes that cover has never had a report of something wrong, and they will make a correction, just for you. No harm in asking, I suppose.
(Or, the company is already shipping a fix - and this thread is now meaningless)

But, I also agree with tehStickMan - the keyboard covers seem like a good idea, but not too practical in actual use, at least on a MBPro.

Reactions: Mockletoy

Mockletoy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
If you have a new keyboard cover, and it is not acceptable to you, then either return it, or don't use it.

Maybe the company that makes that cover has never had a report of something wrong, and they will make a correction, just for you. No harm in asking, I suppose.
(Or, the company is already shipping a fix - and this thread is now meaningless)

But, I also agree with tehStickMan - the keyboard covers seem like a good idea, but not too practical in actual use, at least on a MBPro.

The case I keep mine in came with one of those silicone keyboard covers. I put it on just to see what it looked and felt like. And took it right back off immediately. It felt so wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.