Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
there are rumors that dtrace will make it into 10.5 too. so, when the hell is apple going to buy sun and scoop up the rest of their innovations?

dropscience

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2006
Isn't that the same as SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS in Windows XP?

ChickenSwartz said:
You install then time machine takes you back in time to the point before the upgrade to back everything up before you install Leopard, genius.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
kainjow said:
I wouldn't be surprised. I bet at least some part of Time Machine uses ZFS.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. ZFS was a /rumor/, and Apple does not use any of the technology ANYWHERE in Time Machine. I could go on for paragraphs on how it does work, but I think I already commented on how Time Machine works in another thread. (If it sounds like I am annoying, I am trying to be... so don't take offense. ;))

Although, yes... you can use Time Machine to backup your drive BEFORE you install Leopard, and you can use Time Machine to restore the entire HDD from the install disc as well (if your primary HDD does die and need to be replaced). It uses some pretty inventive trickery to do the incremental backups though, but it is all something you can technically do on Tiger right now.

dropscience said:
Isn't that the same as SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS in Windows XP?

Yes and no. Windows has a lot of different mechanisms that all have some level of shared purpose. You have Shadow Copy (aka Previous Versions) which backs up your changes to files so you can revert back, you have system restore points which backs up your device driver information so you can revert back if drivers cause issues (it doesn't back up the whole system), and you have backup tools which backup your whole drive or data in case your drive dies. Three tools that all intend to protect you from bad changes.

With Leopard, you have Time Machine which does all three at the same time, since you can backup the entire HDD, you get backup. Incremental backups help with the same functions that restore points provide, as well as having the ability to back up your changes (at least to a particular level, such as every day).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.