When Maya 2011 takes focus, apps on external window minimize

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brucem91, Jan 8, 2011.

1. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Hello. My current home setup is a iMac plugged into an external display. When working with Maya 2011, I will sometimes have quicktime, safari, or iChat open on my second display. When I jump back into Maya on the main display, occasionally apps on my second display will minimize. Does anyone know anything about this, and possible ways to fix this? The weird thing is that it doesn't happen all of the time, just when I don't want it to happen.

Thanks

BruceM

2. brucem91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Bump: Anyone have any idea about this? I have an update. It turns out that Maya will hide whatever window is open at the time I switch to maya. For now, I have to CMD+TAB to switch to maya, but I would like to just click in the window.

Thanks,

Bruce

3. rezatayebi macrumors regular

Will the apps minimize or go hidden?
    When your jumping back to maya from another app, if you click on maya's viewport the other app might go hidden. The easiest way to avoid this is to click on top of maya's menu bar when you want to switch to it.

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thats odd mine doesn't do that. I'm using Maya 2011 with the mac pro in my sig and dual 27inch monitors.

5. brucem91 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, looks like apps get hidden, and not minimized.

Yea, I am using my iMac in sig and Maya 2011 SP1.

Okay, I think I figured it out. The problem comes from when I start using maya when it is not active. Meaning, if I just click on Maya, it switches to Maya no problem. However, if I initiate the maya window by hovering over, and for example option+LMB or something (start interacting with the UI), thats when it makes my last open window disappear.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Maya 2011 is up to service pack three (maybe higher but last I checked it was 3). Perhaps that has something to do with it.

7. brucem91 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are thinking the hotfix 3. As of right now, Service Pack 1 is the latest version of Maya 2011, and it includes all of the fixes from hotfix 1, 2, and 3.