Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I see, thanks for the English lesson. Really appreciate that. Especially I am not a native English speaker, easy to misunderstand this kind of “non textbook style” English.

Lucky I made the reply (and of course you willing to reply me as well), otherwise I may never learn this :D

Completely understand. IMHO, your English is GREAT, as are your contributions!

Lou

p11hlf

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2018
Southampton UK
Hey guys,

How long do you think we will have to wait for Nvidia driver on Mojave?

I foolishly upgraded and am currently hating my Mac due to poor performance.

where can I check for drivers online?

Thanks

Phil

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
I don't think anyone has enough info to even speculate (at least not from what I've seen). If it's really bothering you then you may want to revert back to HS for now.

To add another link, I'm sure MacVidCards will keep his blog updated with anything he's able to find out: http://www.macvidcards.com/blog

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I would think Nvidia would be more active in updating drivers than in the past as now all of the MacOS eGPU support is official. Or is eGPU not selling?

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
I just bought a RX 580 for $100. I'd suggest just switching to an AMD Card at this point. You can't beat Out of the Box support. I've been waiting for a web driver for my GTX 760 but it's not worth it at this point.

In short, sell the NVIDIA Card, get an AMD Card.

Reactions: MisterAndrew

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
...or just stay on 10.13.6 for now. It is a viable option that is not discussed enough. Many software vendors are not yet recommending Mojave anyway.

This may sort itself out if you wait until the .2 or .3 update.

Totally agree. There is nothing about Mojave, that it’s absolutely necessary over High Sierra. No need to trade it in every single time a newer version is available, unless there’s a specific issue that really requires an update to fix.

Reactions: ActionableMango

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Totally agree. There is nothing about Mojave, that it’s absolutely necessary over High Sierra. No need to trade it in every single time a newer version is available, unless there’s a specific issue that really requires an update to fix.

Mojave is quite a bit faster on both my Mac Pro 2008 and 5,1 flashed 2009. That reason alone was why I upgraded, and dark mode.

All Apple’s applications are also optimized for AMD cards so it only made sense to make the jump. I do however use a 1080 Ti in my gaming PC but that’s a whole other thing.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I just bought a RX 580 for $100. I'd suggest just switching to an AMD Card at this point. You can't beat Out of the Box support. I've been waiting for a web driver for my GTX 760 but it's not worth it at this point.

In short, sell the NVIDIA Card, get an AMD Card.

760 need web driver? I think 760 also has OOTB support in macOS, isn't it?

Mojave is quite a bit faster on both my Mac Pro 2008 and 5,1 flashed 2009. That reason alone was why I upgraded, and dark mode.

Mojave is also noticeable smoother than 10.13.6 on my flashed 5,1.

And my main reason to go Mojave and RX580 is because it gives me HEVC hardware decode.

I don't think any cMP with Nvidia card can play this video smoothly inside any macOS.

Sony: Swordsmith HDR (link)

Screenshot 2018-10-10 at 19.40.56.png

stottmj

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Meta2 <> OpenGL. Apple has stopped support for OpenGL in Mojave. This means that Nvidia has to make some major changes to switch away from OpenGL and to support Metal2. Hopefully, they have already been working on it prior to the release date of Mojave but it can't be a major priority for Nvidia. They sell relatively few cards to Mac users.

I believe they will eventually release a driver but we must be patient. I have an EFI flashed GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6MB card that keeps up with the 1070. It works well in High Sierra with the Web Driver XXX.105. I was able to upgrade to Mojave Dev Beta but the web driver wasn't compatible and things were slow and wonky. I upgraded to GM Release and it failed horribly because it thought I didn't have a compatible card again. Under High Sierra it found the card. But since the card wasn't detected in Mojave it failed to upgrade to GM. Booting from a Mojave USB installer would also fail as the drivers are not loaded.

Thankfully, a Time Machine restore worked to revert me back with no issues whatsoever. It was remarkable that it worked because I have a home-brewed Fusion drive I built via CoreStorage diskutil commands and Mojave had indeed converted it to APFS successfully.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Meta2 <> OpenGL. Apple has stopped support for OpenGL in Mojave. This means that Nvidia has to make some major changes to switch away from OpenGL and to support Metal2. Hopefully, they have already been working on it prior to the release date of Mojave but it can't be a major priority for Nvidia. They sell relatively few cards to Mac users.

This is completely untrue. NVIDIA has had a Metal driver for many years. OpenGL has effectively been dead on macOS for about as many years. Metal 2 is really not that big of a change over Metal 1, yes there are few more features to add but they already have a driver (and no, they do not need to completely rewrite their Metal drive for Metal 2).

You do realize that basically all of Apple's apps were running on Metal in 10.13 already, right? Mojave was just the OS release where Apple finally came out and said "yes OpenGL is officially deprecated on our platform".

Reactions: Badruzeus

ortholing

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Planet Terra
This is completely untrue. NVIDIA has had a Metal driver for many years. OpenGL has effectively been dead on macOS for about as many years. Metal 2 is really not that big of a change over Metal 1, yes there are few more features to add but they already have a driver (and no, they do not need to completely rewrite their Metal drive for Metal 2).

You do realize that basically all of Apple's apps were running on Metal in 10.13 already, right? Mojave was just the OS release where Apple finally came out and said "yes OpenGL is officially deprecated on our platform".

There is still one more thing I don't understand:
The older cards: GTX 680 , GTX 780 (Kepler) are all "officially" supported by Mac OS Mojave, but the newer Maxwell and Pascal and Turing cards are no longer supported. Are the older cards capable using Metal v2.x ? Are the newer cards less capable to perform under Metal ? If the web drivers worked for the newer cards using Metal under HS, there should be only a minor "modification" for the web drivers to work at least using Metal (1.x)

Speedstar

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
announcement
About Mojave Drivers :

Developers using Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting that after upgrading from 10.13 to 10.14 (Mojave) they are experiencing rendering regressions and slow performance.

Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple.

Our hardware works on OS 10.13 which supports up to (and including) Pascal.

Apple has published a help topic that includes a list of supported hardware for OS 10.14 Mojave. They suggest directing additional inquiries here.

Sincerely,
The Team at Nvidia

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/.../faq-about-macos-10-14-mojave-nvidia-drivers/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bsbeamer

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
announcement
About Mojave Drivers :

Developers using Macs with NVIDIA graphics cards are reporting that after upgrading from 10.13 to 10.14 (Mojave) they are experiencing rendering regressions and slow performance.

Apple fully controls drivers for Mac OS. Unfortunately, NVIDIA currently cannot release a driver unless it is approved by Apple.

Our hardware works on OS 10.13 which supports up to (and including) Pascal.

Apple has published a help topic that includes a list of supported hardware for OS 10.14 Mojave. They suggest directing additional inquiries here.

Sincerely,
The Team at Nvidia

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/.../faq-about-macos-10-14-mojave-nvidia-drivers/
The way it's worded honestly just sounds like "don't expect a Mojave driver any time soon, if you want to upgrade, here's some GPUs that'll work with it".

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
So basically Apple has no desire to "approve" any more drivers for newer video cards installed in a cMP. Why this is such an issue for them escapes me. What is the big deal. They make a MP in 2013 that is next to impossible to tweak and then try to force those of us who liked the cMP to give them up.

I have had to remove my GTX1080 and reinstall my GTX780 just so I have a working cMP. The last "security update" for High Sierra forced my hand as the drivers became outdated. At least the 780 seems to have no issues run Metal 2.

I am running Mojave on a second drive just to see how it works and how usable it is but now my decision is do I run High Sierra or go fully to Mojave. Either way it looks like I have to use my trusty 780. My son is thrilled as I loaned him my 1080 and he put it in his Windows gaming computer and is loving the performance.

Lisa

Reactions: bsbeamer

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
So basically Apple has no desire to "approve" any more drivers for newer video cards installed in a cMP. Why this is such an issue for them escapes me. What is the big deal. They make a MP in 2013 that is next to impossible to tweak and then try to force those of us who liked the cMP to give them up.

I have had to remove my GTX1080 and reinstall my GTX780 just so I have a working cMP. The last "security update" for High Sierra forced my hand as the drivers became outdated. At least the 780 seems to have no issues run Metal 2.

I am running Mojave on a second drive just to see how it works and how usable it is but now my decision is do I run High Sierra or go fully to Mojave. Either way it looks like I have to use my trusty 780. My son is thrilled as I loaned him my 1080 and he put it in his Windows gaming computer and is loving the performance.

Lisa

You mean High Sierra 10.13.6 build 17G3025?

I think the web driver is released already.

https://images.nvidia.com/mac/pkg/387/WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.108.pkg

startergo

macrumors 601
Sep 20, 2018
So let's think about this for a moment. Cui bono? I think NVIDIA loses more than Apple. Apple is no longer manufacturing the cMP's so there is no profit for them doing any development and support for the cMP's. Let's be real we are just a big anchor to the big profiteers in the game. NVIDIA will lose a small market in this area, so what? They have other preferences and projects needing more attention. It will not be until Apple starts manufacturing the new MP, when the market for new cards will eventually drive NVIDIA to make web drivers. At least we can expect Mojave will have no NVIDIA web drivers. Maybe the next OSX who knows?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
So let's think about this for a moment. Cui bono? I think NVIDIA loses more than Apple. Apple is no longer manufacturing the cMP's so there is no profit for them doing any development and support for the cMP's. Let's be real we are just a big anchor to the big profiteers in the game. NVIDIA will lose a small market in this area, so what? They have other preferences and projects needing more attention. It will not be until Apple starts manufacturing the new MP, where the market for new cards will eventually drive NVIDIA to make web drivers. At least we can expect Mojave will have no NVIDIA web drivers. Maybe the next OSX who knows?

Wait until more is known about MacPro7,1. This may sort itself out by then, or after this supposed AMD exclusive contract ends in December 2018. Might all be damage control until then. Will wait and see, but will need answers and clarity on direction for MP7,1 if I’m going to be a supporter/purchaser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.