When my 2012 MBP goes to sleep, what exactly does it affect?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

Does it affect internet downloads? How about processing/transferring of files? I'm use to using my iMac where I would never let the computer itself sleep, just the display. I would turn it off at night and when at work.

2. simsaladimbamba

During sleep nothing but the RAM is active, does any active file transfers or other running processes are halted. It is like shutting off, just that the RAM is the only active part, as it hold all active processes inside. The CPU is off, the HDD/SSD is off, the GPU is off.

3. Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

So what do you do to keep things downloading? Just disable sleep mode? Also, is there a way to change the settings on what closing the screen does? Say I want to close the screen but continue downloading.

4. xp0z3d macrumors regular

I have read InsomniacX is supposed to let you close the lid and still keep computer awake. Although personally I installed it and could not get it work effectively , first few time it would not be install citing "file is damaged, move to trash" error.

Another option is you can see Apple support page about Clamshell mode.

5. simsaladimbamba

You don't put it to sleep. If you want to close the lid: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/22211/insomniax