When my 5K iMac arrives Monday, I am going to clone

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cape Dave, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

my mini by using Carbon Copy Cloner to an external SSD.
    Then, I am going to boot the new iMac for the first time and press the proper keys to get the screen mode that gives boot options, then click the "restore from Carbon Copy Cloner SSD" choice and follow directions.

I cannot see any need to go thru the whole setup procedure first.

This is my first time doing this with a Mac. Am I missing anything?

Thanks much for assistance.

Although I may do a fresh install in the future, for now I would like to do it this quick way.

2. forg0t macrumors member

Does OSX install every driver needed for any supported Mac on each install? I doubt it does.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

The new iMac ships with the standard build of 10.10. All installations of a given build of OS X include all the same drivers, regardless of which hardware was used for the original installation.

4. DerekS macrumors 6502

If it were me, I'd time machine the disk and then restore from time machine.

CCC is going to load the older OS on there, which you don't want.

5. tillsbury macrumors 65816

You should also consider doing a clean install. Then you won't have a load of junk hanging around from previous OS versions and applications you don't really want. I spent last night doing that, moving about 600Gb over and installing all the apps required. Now I know my iMac has a clean install and no junk from the last three years...

6. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting. I have never done that with Time Machine. I just started using it for backup.

So if I did it that way, I would do the initial install of OSX on the new computer and then fire up time machine and do a full restore?

Also, I do have the latest OSX Yosemite on the mini currently.

----------

Yes, I will probably do that at some point but want to see how the cloning way works. In Windows for decades I had fine luck with it.

I can always do a reformat at anytime. Lord knows I hate cruddy buildup :)

7. apfelmann macrumors 6502

I don't use CCC anymore. last time I used it, it created a non-working recovery partition and I had to run "internet recovery" to get my mac working again.

only time machine from now on

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I think you are moving data you don't need to (the OS). The OS is already on there out of the box, so all you need to move in is your apps and personal data. During the setup process you will be asked if you want to import data. Just say yes and that import utility will import from either a TM backup or your CCC clone and you will have the same end result without moving all that data.

9. Cape Dave thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah, yes, I will do this! Thanks. I may as well give Time machine a try, although I will also have a fresh backup with Carbon Copy as well. I like backups :)

Appreciate this. Being unfamiliar with the Mac setup procedure, I would not have know about this. This forum rocks.