When my ipod touch is connected to the stereo, does the battery charge?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Drdoc, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Drdoc macrumors newbie

I want to use my ipod touch to provide 2 or more hours of background music at a party. If I hook it up to the stereo system, does it run off battery power or the power from the stereo? In other words, do I have to worry about the ipod touch running out of battery power before the party's over?

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No, as long as when you plug it in it doesn't say "Charging is not supported with this accessory", and as long as you see the battery on the screen you are fine. And plus on a full charge your phone should play music on standby for hours. :)

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How are you connecting it to the stereo? Through the dock connector or the headphone jack?

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

It depends on how you hook it up. If you're connecting it through the headphone jack, it'll run off the battery. If you connect with a dock connector with the correct voltage, it'll charge as it plays.

5. Drdoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks! I plug it in through the headphone jack. I'm not sure how to connect it with a dock connector.

6. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

Then you will be using the iPod battery as there is no way to transfer power through the headphone jack from a stereo.