Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
... I will be moving the contents of my old iMac over to it. Normally, this would be easy as I would just hook the two up over firewire and do the transfer of all the old iMac's contents.

However, I can't do that for two reasons:
1) I already sold my old iMac. I don't have it any more.
2) I don't want all of the old iMacs contents on the new one. Just a select section... such as my iPhoto library, iTunes library, Address Book contents, Safari bookmarks, home folder, etc.

Here is where I need your help. I know how to tranfer ( I think) the iPhoto/iTunes libraries, but the Addressbook, bookmarks, etc. kind of confuses me. Currently, I have my old iMac backed up (via bootable carbon copy clone) onto a 80GB hard drive.

Can you please help me with the steps to get this other content on my new iMac? Thanks!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
For Address Book - Go to your user/library/application support folder and copy over the Address Book folder.

For Safari bookmarks - Go to your user/library/Safari folder and copy over the Bookmarks.plist file.

But your best best is probably to just use Migration Assistant and copy over your user account. It will bring over everything you need. Just choose your bootable cloned hard drive to find the user account.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
But your best best is probably to just use Migration Assistant and copy over your user account. It will bring over everything you need. Just choose your bootable cloned hard drive to find the user account.

But won't that just bring EVERYTHING over? I only want to bring specific files... my old computer was getting so slow, and I don't want to risk bringing over something that will slow up the new one. I just want to bring specific files that I know I need.

For Address Book - Go to your user/library/application support folder and copy over the Address Book folder.

For Safari bookmarks - Go to your user/library/Safari folder and copy over the Bookmarks.plist file.

For the Address Book stuff, should I move the entire folder over and replace the new iMacs folder, or just copy over the contents of the Address Book folder?

Thanks for your help!

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
But won't that just bring EVERYTHING over? I only want to bring specific files... my old computer was getting so slow, and I don't want to risk bringing over something that will slow up the new one. I just want to bring specific files that I know I need.

You mentioned wanting to bring the home folder. That's pretty much everything, and Migration Assistant does it better. But if you just want specific files, they're usually in the Library folder (well, obviously the documents, music, pictures, etc...).

For the Address Book stuff, should I move the entire folder over and replace the new iMacs folder, or just copy over the contents of the Address Book folder?

Some thing. You can copy all the contents, or the whole Address Book folder. The OS won't know the difference.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
You mentioned wanting to bring the home folder. That's pretty much everything, and Migration Assistant does it better. But if you just want specific files, they're usually in the Library folder (well, obviously the documents, music, pictures, etc...).

Some thing. You can copy all the contents, or the whole Address Book folder. The OS won't know the difference.

Yeah, sorry... by home folder, I just meant, documents, images, movies, and all of that kind of stuff. I don't want all of the 'library contents'... Just a few of them.

I do not want to use the migration assistant, because I want FULL control of what I bring from the old computer to the new one.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Is there any way to get Quicktime Pro off of my old iMac without using migration assistant?

Dimwhit

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2007
Is there any way to get Quicktime Pro off of my old iMac without using migration assistant?

Nothing needs to be transfered. You just need to re-enter the registration code into the Quicktime Player already on your new Mac. On your old Mac, launch QT Player and click on Registration on the Quicktime menu. Your code will be there. If you can't log on your old Mac, go to the /~user/Library/Preferences folder and copy over the Quicktime preferences. One of those should, in theory, have the reg code in it.

Edit: Or the easiest way is to find the email with the reg code you purchased and re-enter it that way.

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Nothing needs to be transfered. You just need to re-enter the registration code into the Quicktime Player already on your new Mac. On your old Mac, launch QT Player and click on Registration on the Quicktime menu. Your code will be there. If you can't log on your old Mac, go to the /~user/Library/Preferences folder and copy over the Quicktime preferences. One of those should, in theory, have the reg code in it.

Edit: Or the easiest way is to find the email with the reg code you purchased and re-enter it that way.

Thank you for your answer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.