When new iMac's arrive, will custom upgrades from OWC be available?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rawdawg, Jul 1, 2012.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I wanted a new Mac Pro, but the update was a complete joke. So now I'm focusing on an iMac, which IMO isn't worth buying until Ivy Bridge. But to have it the way I want it I want a 6G SSD (preferably OWC) and topped off with RAM.

I do NOT want to pay for Apple to do this. In fact I'm sick of giving Apple any more money than I have to (but that's a different story).

I would love to have the new iMac drop shipped to OWC for customization. But if the insides are different does that mean OWC's service probably won't be available for the new iMac at first?

I'm so sick and disappointed with Apple, I wish I had the guts to just get a PC and be done with them...

2. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Ever looked into hackintoshes? :)

3. SandboxGeneral, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You want a 6GB SSD? I assume the size is a typo right?

Depending on what all Apple changes in the next iMac's, you probably should allow OWC time to get things ready for it. They do not and will not have prior knowledge of what's in the "box" just like the rest of us won't.

As for the current iMac not worth buying, that is of course, your preference, but I can say for me, that my 2010 i7 iMac that I am still using is by far the best computer I've ever owned. It's still very powerful, flexible and all around superb computer which is still relevant today.

4. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies.

I have given Hackintosh's a serious looks. Despite than many opinions from those tech savvy individuals about how easy they are to set up these days, the undeniable truth is they are finicky and require attention. I loath computer problems and would rather pay the premium to not have to deal with them.

I did in fact mean 6G SSD ( http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/ ). A 6GB SSD wouldn't make any sense at all. There is no such thing as a 2012 iMac so I'm not sure what you're speaking of. But if you meant 2011 then yeah, except compared to the Mac Pro, I bet it is blazing fast! Only to be significantly overshadowed when the Ivy Bridge comes out...... which is imminent considering how long the technology has been out.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yeah, that was a typo; my iMac is a 2010 model.

6. Nova Sensei macrumors 6502

What I find amazing - and i'm quoting Aussie prices here - is that to upgrade from a 500gb HDD to a 126gb SSD costs $600 (the price of an iPad). On what planet is that reasonable? Madness.

7. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Madness it is. Anyone who buys extra RAM from Apple isn't doing themselves any favors. SSD's too, unless one isn't savvy enough to put their own SSD in.

8. bryno92 macrumors newbie

Just get a PC. Much cheaper/faster and easy to upgrade. Why pay more for a slower computer that's hard to upgrade? It's easy switching from Mac to PC. I did. I miss some aspects of Mac OS but I don't miss paying extra for hardware. Maybe I'll look into a hackintosh.