When new replaces old...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BitterB, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BitterB macrumors member

I'm about to switch from PC, but here are my questions:

1) when new models (iMac in this case) arrive what happens to old ones?? A big sale? They pull them off shelves?

2) Does Apple usually offer these "free iPod" incentives with purchase of computer around graduation time??

3) If new machines and iLife 07 were released in June, would you expect the older models to be pre-loaded with the newest version of iLife also (if they continue selling them)?

I'd wait another couple months if it means saving a few bucks, getting a "free iPod" with my purchase, or getting the next version of iLife. If none of these, I might as well buck up now. I don't need to wait for Leopard.

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

You generally won't find outdated models at Apple Stores. They'll liquidate the older revisions through authorized resellers and 3rd parties, etc.

They're done it every summer. When I bought mine, it was $200 off an ipod, now it's usually $179 off or a free nano. At least that's what it was last summer I believe.

No. I wouldn't expect to find the older models at the Apple store (I've never seen them in Boston after updates). If you buy at an apple store you'll get the latest software.

If you buy from an authorized reseller you'll get the older software, but they may also offer a discount or rebate for upgrades to newer software.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just note that the new iLife might not be preinstalled, and they might just include a CD in the box. This is how mine came from Apple.com bought right after iLife '05 was released.

B

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I really wonder if there will even be an iLife 07 or if they will wait to release it until fall with new OS and make it iLife 08?

Doesn't Apple occasionally have "sale" items that are outdated hardware- I thought I remembered this at least during the intel transition...maybe it was just a transition thing where they knew many people woudl be looking for PPC based Macs for a while longer and they had plenty to sell...?

Isn't the iPod promotion a back to school promotion starting in July usually?

5. RRK macrumors 6502

RRK

I think I remember something about this being because certain businesses that had software dependent on the PPC would not be able to change for years. So this gave them a way to buy the computers they would need during that time directly through Apple.

6. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Apple is also pretty good about watching their inventory and selling it down so there are not that many left overs when a new revision comes out. So I would say either buy this summer with the ipod deal or try to get a refurbished which can be great deals in some cases. I got my iMac four years ago for $500 off retail through the refub. site. It has worked great- although was my second one because the first refub. they sent me in fact didn't get refurb. But they replaced it no problem and was worth the trouble to save $500.

7. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

I doubt it...either way they are attracting attention to the fact that the normally expected update to iLife has been missing. It'll be like iLife Next Gen or iLife Pro or iLife HD or whatever iLife <insert lame cliche here>. :rolleyes: