When oh when will Apple update the capacity of the time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yetanotherdave, Jun 23, 2009.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Iit's a very nice all in one option, but in practicality it offers nothing over a sepetate airport and external HDD, how can I possibly justify a time capsule right now, considering the 500Gb version costs £229, when I can also buy these for a combined price of £238 1.5Tb external disk, £99, Airport Extreme £140.

When apple first released time capsule, 500Gb was more than enough to backup a full laptop HDD and have space for extra backups on all its laptop range, now they are selling laptops with 500GB HDD's it's time for them to bump the spec. It's been about 2 years since they introduced the 500Gb TC, it was expensive then, it's extortionate now.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

^ I agree. I think they're due for an update.

What I would really like to see is a TC that contains 2 HDs and runs RAID1. IMHO that would be perfect!

3. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

Haaaaaave you met Apple?

Typically speaking, Apple doesn't offer the best spec wise (but they tend to offer the best usage wise).

What would be awesome is an Airport Extreme which you can hook an external hard drive (or RAID array) up to.

Or can you already do that?

4. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The only point in raid1 on a TC is if you are using it as a fileserver and want redundancy incase a disk dies. As the TC is essentially a redundant disk mirroring your internal HDD, using any RAID in it is kinda pointless (within the limits of the products intended use) and will only double the cost. Can't see apple doing it, but I can see the point; Personally I'm going to attatch a HDD with DVD rips on it as a shared disk, I'll mirror the external to the internal TC disk and also use TC for backups of my laptops.

Yes you can attatch a HDD to the USB plug on an Airport Extreme, if you have a raid enclosure, then it will be raid :)

I know what you mean usage wise, dual band wifi and guest networking, awesome features!

5. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Can you upgrade the hard drive in those things (realizing the warranty would be voided)? Do they take 2.5 or 3.5 inch drives?

6. pdjudd macrumors 601

They would have to be 3.5 inch drives since laptop drives max out at 500 gigs and they are classified as "Server Grade" as per the specs page

7. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

The bottom is glued on, so you will never be able to put it back "as new" (killing the warranty) but once you've got the bottom off you can stick whatever 3.5" drive you want in there.

8. martynmc7 macrumors regular

9. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

My (wireless) network consists of 2 macbook's (N) an iPhone, iPod touch, airport express and a wii, all G. Plus a mini, xbox 360 and xbox but they're all ethernet.

Could I run two access points? use the TC for N and connect the airport express via ethernet and have a G access point? Dual band would be great, but if that works I could definitely go for that!

10. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave