Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
hey guys this is more for my friend. He's wondering should he buy the air now? He's wondering on the chances of a hard drive increase since they are refreshing the MacS and pros. He also wants to know how well importing video into imovie is on the air, hows vmware and burning CDs work on it.

His current system is a 1.9 hp

Thanks

glitch44

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2006
no one knows for sure when a refresh will happen. all the rumors have pointed to only new Macbooks and Macbook Pros this fall.

most likely no big MBA changes until Macworld 2009, but new hard drive options on the MBA could happen quietly at any time.

SLCentral

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2004
Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
hey guys this is more for my friend. He's wondering should he buy the air now? He's wondering on the chances of a hard drive increase since they are refreshing the MacS and pros. He also wants to know how well importing video into imovie is on the air, hows vmware and burning CDs work on it.

His current system is a 1.9 hp

Thanks

Just an FYI, importing video will be a problem, considering theres no FireWire port on the Air.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Also if the Air has issues running YouTube videos, I think it will have issues running Final Cut, not to say it can't, but encoding might be difficult.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 25, 2008
I never thought about the firewire issue, but im pretty sure his camera uses just USB. Just light video importing here, no final cut pro stuff!

However it having trouble with simple things such as youtube videos, that seems to be an issue!

I keep telling him to get atleast a Macbook. He can even wait until they release the new ones!

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
I usually think of the MBA as a second computer, not a first. It's a portable laptop to complement your iMac, MacPro, or even MBP which stays at home.

Also, there's no CD burner, unless you buy the external drive. I think you could do light iMovie work on it when you're traveling, but would want to do the more intensive stuff when you get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.