When?: Quicktime 8 & iTunes 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, Apr 8, 2008.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Im sorta new to Mac's. I am on my third. First an iBook G4 in late 04, Intel iMac early 06, and now a SR MBP.

I havent paid too much attention to the development of apple software however. I have used Panther on my iBook, Tiger on my iMac, and Leopard on my MBP. And have seen the progress of both Quicktime and iTunes, however how long is it between major releases usually?

I know with OSX we see a new version about every 18 months to 24 months.

Thanks ;)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Unlike with Mac OS X Apple doesn't really have a timeline (that I know about) for iTunes and QuickTime releases. I'd say iTunes 8 and QuickTime 8 will be released whenever Apple finds some whiz-bang new feature for iTunes, that requires a major QuickTime update to support - say, a new audio and/or video codec.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

There is no 'usual' time frame for iTunes.

I'm hoping that Apple are spending the huge amount on iTunes 8 because of drastic efficiency improvements (Cocoa?).

4. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I'm not envisioning an iTunes 8 anytime soon... at least not until there's a serious competitor threatening iTunes market share anyway.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Songbird is the only app poised to do that, and that would be a long way into the future anyway.

6. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I'm aware of Songbird... just looks like a direct clone of iTunes to me. I'm surprised Apple hasn't sued them yet?

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

What about WMP?

In regards to Quicktime, this I think will come with 10.6

iTunes may get bumped up to 8 on release of iPhone v2 (if it does then qt8 may come with it).