When Replacing a Macbook do they give you equal value or equal specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ceezy3000, Apr 11, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

well my macbook has already gone in for 3 repairs and its having probs again. im sure i am gonna get it replaced but it is a last gen black macbook. when replacing macbooks to they give u a equal spec machine like the high end Unibody macbook or will they give me something of equal value. i got my machine 2.4ghz 2gb ram 250 gb hard drive refurbed from apple. ive had it repaired 3 times in 3 months.i find un fair if they give me the white macbook seeing as the specs arent the same and ive had to put up with incredible BULL with this macbook.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the white mb has better specs......

besides, they will probably replace with a refurb blackbook

you arent just entitled to one of the newer mb's anyway fyi

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple will use their own discretion. If they feel you deserve a replacement for the troubles on your black MacBook, they will give you what's fair. Obviously they'll try to give you something similar to what you currently have but in terms of which model it could be a refurbished black MacBook the white MacBook w/ nVidia chipset or even the aluminum MacBook. Again, Apple doesn't have a lemon policy, they don't NEED to give you a replacement, they're just doing it out of customer satisfaction.

(Chances are, if they do offer you a new replacement, it will most likely be the new unibody.)

4. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

I thought that if you have the same issues 3 or more times they must give you a replacement, based on their own policy.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

As far as I know, I was told Apple doesn't have one. We were trained on how to position it since we do get quite a few calls about customers wanting to get a new computer because of various problems. We'll still transfer them to the appropriate department to help them but Apple doesn't have a lemon policy, each case is taken into consideration by CSR (AppleCare) or manager (Apple Store) and is handled separately. Like I said before, all replacements are done out of customer satisfaction.

6. boblovejoy macrumors newbie

The good news I was in the same boat i had a whitebook 2.4 250 replaced with al 2.4. even at the time they had blackbooks in the refirb section and in the clearance. I had a 17inch 2.4 mbp replaced with a unibody.
    The bad news both were purchased new not refirbed.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Assuming this is all taking place at an applestore, wouldn't the choices be limited to what the store has on hand? Would an applestore have a bunch of blackbooks sitting on a pallet in the back?

And I could make a case against getting a new whitebook as a replacement. The dude bought a top of line macbook, and it died under warranty. He should be entitled to a top of the line macbook of the new models.

8. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

Top of the line when 2 years ago? Ever heard of something called depriciation its not worth what it was so how should he be entitle to a top of the line macbook now makes no sense...

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. It's not like Apple is going to shaft the dude. They will consider the model you have and try to match the replacement but that doesn't mean just because he had a top of the line then he should get top of the line now. It's hard to compare then and now but lets say top of the line was 2.0 GHz with 2GB RAM and 80GB HDD back then, top of the line now would be 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD - I don't think you can justify that exchange, getting more for less. Again, Apple is giving a replacement as favor and are no way obligated to do so.

10. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

if they are going to give you a replacement (which they will do if a person has put up with lots of "bull" from the product), they'll never give you something worse than what you've got. Lots of times they'll upgrade you.

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

I had a G4-- which was the high end 15" version at the time-- that was under AppleCare that had three bad logic boards last year. It was replaced with the high end model of the MacBook Pro. Most of the replacement stories that I have read on here have been from users who received a computer at the same price point (or next one up if they have changed) for a warranty replacement.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

If you have applecare it's like-for-like replacement. My black MacBook was replaced with the high-end unibody.

13. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I got my BlackBook replaced with an equal value (alum. MacBook) but they gave me the choice to instead pay the difference and get a MBP.

14. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

pretty sweet CS if you ask me. I have applecare for three years, but I doubt I'll have it that long. Prob upgrade after having this for a year, it's just how I roll.

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Same, I don't see myself using the same portable for the full 3 years of AppleCare. Probably going to sell it after two years and use AppleCare as a selling point. Only thing that will prevent me from changing computers is if Apple runs into a problem like faulty chips through the whole line or something.

16. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yeah I didn't even buy this apple care extension, I bought this MB used for a great price and the guy already bought the 3 years. If not I would have plans to sell this MB at around 9-10 months and allow the buyer to decide on extending applecare. At this point, I feel very safe and can sell anytime, even after 2 years if I feel like I don't need an upgrade. And if Apple doesn't release anything good within the time. A graphics update will certainly make me move this.