When restoring which do you prefer - iTunes or iCloud restore?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wannabelean, Jun 18, 2013.

1. wannabelean macrumors 6502

I always use Itunes since its faster. I've tried Icloud before but getting data of the servers takes much longer than a local restore.

I'm concerned about the itunes backup overwriting or carrying over old OS files though. With an Icloud restore I think that only data and no OS files will be written back.

Anybody else thinks the same?

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

iCloud because it auto downloads my apps. Does the iTunes restore from backup do the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

3. AppleCruncher macrumors regular

iTunes. Way faster. The wife did an OTA and it failed and messed everything up.

4. dave8209 macrumors member

dave8209

iCloud. It is because with iCloud it backs up a lot more convenient and if you ever have an accident with your device and you are unable to even use it, you can get another one and restore it from the iCloud backup from the night before from your original device. But if you're uncomfortable with the cloud, or do not feel like paying extra storage space if your backup is above 5 GB, then iTunes is the way to go.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've done both and I much prefer the local iTunes backup/restore. Much faster and more reliable way to do it.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

iTunes restore only auto installs your apps if you restore from backup right after you just finished the restoring process

Whether the apps being installed are drawn from your iTunes library or apple's server (downloading the latest one and installing it), I'm not sure

7. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I don't install the apps from iTunes. I like it when downloads them from app store so i don't have to sync apps. Slow PC:(

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

8. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

I usy restore from icloud, however I make a backup on both iTunes and icloud right before my restore.

9. saberahul macrumors 68040

iCloud - plug it in, hit restore, go to sleep.

10. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Always iTunes - much more user control !

Especially for jailbreakers :D

11. Beyinsis macrumors member

Icloud is most important feature of iphone. My wifes iphone had crushed when I was upgrading it. She would be killed me. Icloud is great

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I rely on iCloud to keep a current backup in case I need to do a restore, but I always have one in iTunes that I update every few months "just in case". I make an iTunes backup before any iOS upgrade / update.

13. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iCloud.

I rarely use my home PC. It backs up while on nightstand, since iPhone is also my alarm.

Also, if I have to replace it while travelling, can restore via WIFI, anywhere.

14. sankyo macrumors member

I used to use iCloud because it was effortless, but actually I just use iTunes now, because it's faster. And I only have 1 page of apps.

I do not like to wait.

15. jonasdamn macrumors 6502a

Was using icloud for months but once icloud was down, tried itunes and it is way faster, 5 mins and done. But maybe will choose both because my laptop HDD two times died and it's risky a bit.