When restoring which do you prefer - iTunes or iCloud restore?

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2009
I always use Itunes since its faster. I've tried Icloud before but getting data of the servers takes much longer than a local restore.

I'm concerned about the itunes backup overwriting or carrying over old OS files though. With an Icloud restore I think that only data and no OS files will be written back.

Anybody else thinks the same?

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
I always use Itunes since its faster. I've tried Icloud before but getting data of the servers takes much longer than a local restore.

I'm concerned about the itunes backup overwriting or carrying over old OS files though. With an Icloud restore I think that only data and no OS files will be written back.

Anybody else thinks the same?
iCloud because it auto downloads my apps. Does the iTunes restore from backup do the same thing?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

dave8209

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
Providence, RI
iCloud. It is because with iCloud it backs up a lot more convenient and if you ever have an accident with your device and you are unable to even use it, you can get another one and restore it from the iCloud backup from the night before from your original device. But if you're uncomfortable with the cloud, or do not feel like paying extra storage space if your backup is above 5 GB, then iTunes is the way to go.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
iCloud because it auto downloads my apps. Does the iTunes restore from backup do the same thing?

iTunes restore only auto installs your apps if you restore from backup right after you just finished the restoring process

Whether the apps being installed are drawn from your iTunes library or apple's server (downloading the latest one and installing it), I'm not sure

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
iTunes restore only auto installs your apps if you restore from backup right after you just finished the restoring process

Whether the apps being installed are drawn from your iTunes library or apple's server (downloading the latest one and installing it), I'm not sure
I don't install the apps from iTunes. I like it when downloads them from app store so i don't have to sync apps. Slow PC:(

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I usy restore from icloud, however I make a backup on both iTunes and icloud right before my restore.

Beyinsis

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2013
Icloud is most important feature of iphone. My wifes iphone had crushed when I was upgrading it. She would be killed me. Icloud is great

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I rely on iCloud to keep a current backup in case I need to do a restore, but I always have one in iTunes that I update every few months "just in case". I make an iTunes backup before any iOS upgrade / update.

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
iCloud.

I rarely use my home PC. It backs up while on nightstand, since iPhone is also my alarm.

Also, if I have to replace it while travelling, can restore via WIFI, anywhere.

sankyo

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
I used to use iCloud because it was effortless, but actually I just use iTunes now, because it's faster. And I only have 1 page of apps.

I do not like to wait.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Was using icloud for months but once icloud was down, tried itunes and it is way faster, 5 mins and done. But maybe will choose both because my laptop HDD two times died and it's risky a bit.