when selling your used iPhone, aren't you worried about your deleted data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 12, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Is your deleted data really deleted?

Your contact information and your pictures are really gone?

Is anyone worried about this or do you take an extra step to make sure all your personal information is wiped out clean? Any software recommendation?

2. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

There has been a secure erase feature on the phone for quite some time now. That will do the job just fine.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Above poster is correct. Use the "Erase All Content and Settings" option to securely erase everything.

4. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

If you are really paranoid you could probably run the Secure Erase 7+ times to make sure everything is completely erased.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm going out and buying another EDGE phone off eBay for parts to put in my phone just to be safe when I sell mine. I thought about just replacing the flash, but then I thought there may be residual data in the RAM or other circuitry.

6. prospereagle92 macrumors regular

talk about paranoid...

7. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah right. ANYTHING can be broken into/recovered with the right amount of equipment and time. 99% of people don't have the proper equipment and 99.9% don't have the time to recover the data off a properly wiped/nuked device. Apple's own secure erase function on the iPhone takes an hour+ for a reason; its overwriting the data

8. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think MichaelCM1 is more paranoid than that....buying a second phone for parts to sell another phone? What is the point? Residual data in RAM? Man, I'm glad I'm not quite so paranoid.