When should I buy a MacBook pro and from where?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcjh22, Sep 8, 2010.

1. rcjh22 macrumors member

I'm a senior in high school and need a computer by next year for college. I know for sure I want a 13" MacBook pro but I need some help. My first question is should I go ahead and buy the MacBook now, on black Friday or wait until graduation to see if they come out with some new stuff for it? My next question is should I buy a refurbished MacBook pro, a new one on black Friday, or one with an educational discount? Also should I buy from Apple directly, best buy, or from a reseller like Mac Connection?

All input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks all. :)

2. Tomple macrumors 6502a

Tomple

Personally, being my impatient self, I would go right to apple now and demand one :p

but...

I would recommend that you purchase one directly from Apple, but wait for black friday as the price should be lower. The condition of refurbished Macbook Pro's (as with all other apple products) is excellent. I have had many a refurb mac and iphone all which perform equally as well as the others and are physically identical. If the price of the refurb on black friday is lower then i would recommend it, if not, i would get the new and not look back. Attempt to use an educational discount, although you missed your chance for a new iPod :( the price discount will be nice. Good luck :D

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Educational discount period ended yesterday. At this point if you don't need it until next fall, just wait.

4. rcjh22 thread starter macrumors member

I'm very impatient myself so if there are no rumors of something awesome being changed in the near future looks like black Friday just became the best day of the year. :) Thanks again

5. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would look at Mac Rumors home page and find the lowest price. I do not think Mac Connection or Mac Mall charge sales tax which leaves money to buy Apple Care.

6. rcjh22 thread starter macrumors member

I have looked at some prices on Mac mall and some of the price drops are incredible. I'm just never sure if resellers are reliable or not.

7. stankuo macrumors newbie

I got mine from amazon since there is no tax.

8. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

9. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It's the day after Thanksgiving, I'm assuming you are in the US.

Now for the trivia question of the day, anyone know why it's called Black Friday? If you don't just say I'll fill you in. Here is a hint if you know anything about accounting you should be able to figure it out.

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

the discount itself goes on for the whole year. you simply don't get a free ipod.

11. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

That's a long time to wait from now for a new Apple computer. :D

12. Wacky Jackson macrumors member

Wacky Jackson

Look on ebay and use bing cashback. I saved $100 right off the bat and then additional $120-ish off of bing cashback. And no tax so additional $100-ish saved. :cool:

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If by next year, you mean next Fall 2011, I think you should way until they have the Mac + iPod program again. There would probably be another refresh by then and you'd be saving.

14. laserbeam273 macrumors 6502

Hmm... I study accounting, but I'm not in America, so I'm not really sure... . I'm guessing it's something to do with positive vs negative profit or something. I give up, why is it?! Or is it just one of those many stock crashes we've had?

15. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Bought my current MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz)) refurbished from Apple in Fall 2007. I remember the savings were better than the education store AND I got to use a $100 rebate because I bought via a 3rd party (not sure if this is possible anymore - techound1 helped me). I want to go the same route to replace this macbook pro w/ a new one because I like to sell mine before the applecare warranties are up. so now a) have to figure out which 15" Macbook pro I want and then b) see if I can find a deal on it