When should i buy a MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattportner, Apr 10, 2007.

1. mattportner macrumors member

I am going to update from my iBook G4 to a 17-inch MacBook Pro.
    I am probably going to wait for the release of Leopard? April/May correct?
    But will the MBP be updated soon?
    I know its kind of reaching the end of its cycle.

When should i buy my MacbookPro?

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I personally like buying my MBPs on Saturdays... just kidding.

Most basic answer is wait until as long as you need it and going without it would cause a problem. From there, a few corrections with your post are in order. First, Leopard is not due in April/May, at best it is set for a June release, at best. Second, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by MBPs being at the end of their cycle because MBPs were only just updated in Oct. 2006. My gest guess is you are referring to the Intel announcement of 45nm micro-architecture, which hopefully will make its way into the next revision. My best guess is we will see some upgrade action late spring early summer, as in June/July or September.

edit: I see how the term cycle is being used now once I looked at the link I gave you; I was thinking more along the lines of the major changes we have seen from the switch to intel to the c2d.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

just wait until they're updated, and there you go. if you've got an ibook to tide you over, you should be able to go without a macbook pro. so wait until the update you're waiting for happens. and leopard in april/may? a lot of people here think june.

4. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Some things to wait for--but not ALL of them will happen:

* Leopard
    * Next iLife bundle
    * LED backlighting (but may only be practical for smaller screens)
    * Flash storage for less reliance on the HD
    * Penryn 45nm chips from Intel (faster, less power/heat)
    * Santa Rosa platform (the chips that connect to the CPU--and can be a bottleneck)
    * Higher GHz (of course)
    * Newer/better video boards
    * Completely updated case design (will happen eventually, but the current design has the advantage of being well tested)
    * Summer iPod promos (often discounted with a Mac--for students, anyway)
    * More selection of models (new smaller size? not important if you're after big)
    * Updated non-Pro MacBooks with improved 3D performance (making them a more tempting alternative to a Pro)
    * MacBook RED (just possible for 13" or Pro 15", but very unlikely at the 17" size)
    * Multitouch display (highly unlikely and of dubious value--although the iPhone technology could lead to fancier trackpads in some way)

Some could happen any time, some probably not until fall if ever... and June seems likely for Leopard and the next iLife.

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Search "Santa Rosa" on the MacRumours forums.

Then wait for WWDC. (11/12th April)

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I think it is only fitting to add the impeachment of George Bush to this list.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Unfortunately, it seems that no matter how much crap a prime minister or president hands to the people from the start to the middle of the term, it's all forgotten by the end of the term, ready for the next election. Two years ago, everyone hated our Johnny Howard, but now, he could get re-elected. Six years ago, eveyone hated Johnny Howard (Anyone remember the Tamper incident? Nope? Didn't think so), but he got back in anyway two years later, in the election. George Bush did the same thing with the Afghanistan war, and now, an election later, we're in even more crap with Iraq.

Why do people have such short memories?

Anyway, that's kind of off topic, but that's my feelings on the subject.