When should I buy an iPhone??!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Br53, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Br53 macrumors newbie

Hey, looking to get an iphone but after doing some research I'm not sure when I should get one...
    The prices are meant to fall soon aren't they?
    Is there a new model coming out?
    Obviosuly I dont want to buy one now if in a few weeks they will be going for a lot less or if a new model has come out.
    So, any ideas when i should buy one? dont want to wait too long, but dont want to make the wrong decision.
    cheers.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The general consensus (and rumours) point to a June update of the iPhone line.

3. jbredz28 macrumors newbie

If I switch from Sprint to AT&T and buy myself and my wife 2 16GB iPhone 3Gs for $299 each, can I buy any new iPhones that come out in June for the new customer price? How much do you think I could sell the 3Gs on Ebay for in June? Just trying to decide if I should jump ship now or wait til June.

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I'd say no, but your best bet is to visit an AT&T store...

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Get one when you need/want one, just know that there is a new model coming out this year and don't get into a hissy fit if you do happen to buy a current model. Because that happens way too much here :p

6. jbredz28 macrumors newbie

After briefly looking over the searches I don't see my questions answered. My first question was will I be able to get the subsidized price on a new released iPhone in June if I purchase a subsidized 3G now? My second question is will I be able to sell the 3G on Ebay in June (advertised as unlocked I would think?) and for how much? (I know this is a guess)

7. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Don't get the iPhone now. I made the same mistake last year... An AT&T employee said I should just sign up now with a cheap free phone and then when the iPhone comes out get it then. They failed to mention (actually he said it would be fine) that I wouldn't be eligible for the subsidized price. When I tried to complain to the manager, she told me "there's nothing I can do". Same thing when I called AT&T customer support. My upgrade eligibility is still 4 months away (a year and a half after I wanted to buy an iPhone) and I've been waiting ever since. I'm not going to spend an extra $200 just because I got a $9.99 phone for free (subsidized). And yes, I'm bitter that I still don't have my iPhone :(.

If I was you, I would wait 2 months to save you $200. You can get 2 phones for the price of 1 that way...

EDIT: Oh one more thing... I recently talked to AT&T customer support on the phone and they said there is a new policy at AT&T where you cannot buy a new iPhone for 18 months after you buy an iPhone. I was like "you mean at the cheap price right?" and she went on to tell me that they won't sell you another iPhone for 18 months no matter how much you want to pay. It's to prevent buying and selling iPhones all the time I guess. I mentioned being able to get them at best buy or through Apple, but she said "we track them and know if a new iPhone is being used". I doubt it, but I'm not sure what to make of that... That would suck....

8. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

9. ervert macrumors newbie

I bought a new unlocked 3G iPhone last week, I love it!

I know there is a new one coming sometime soon, but what the heck - I couldn't wait! :)

Cheers,
    ervert

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Look harder than briefly. I recommended you actually visit an AT&T store who will be able to answer this for you.

Think though, why would you get 2 subsidized phones months apart? Once you get a subsidized phone, you need to wait 12-18mo before you are eligible for an upgrade. Might I be wrong about this? Possibly, only AT&T reps can answer you.

Secondly, can you sell it? Why the hell not? It's your phone. You'll still have a contract with AT&T however for that phone that you need to cancel your service paying the $175 ETF, or skipping the ETF and buying another iPhone at full price. You can't unlock 2.30 baseband you so you can't sell it as unlocked.

11. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So if you go and get your iPhone replaced for a problem... they'll see that you're using a different IMEI number and they'll disconnect you? That doesn't sound right. How do they tell the difference between replacement iPhones and an iPhone purchased elsewhere?

12. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I have no idea... I'm just hoping they don't do this, and if they do that it's easy to bypass. Or maybe she's out of her mind and has no idea what she's talking about. This seems like a really stupid idea, and I'm sure Apple doesn't want to limit people to every 18 months. They'd love it if it was every month ;)

13. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

There's no way Apple is going to let AT&T kill millions in revenue for the company. Whether we are allowed to buy an unsubsidized phone or something similar, there's no way Apple would stand for this. Apple know they have tons of fanboi's and gadget freaks itching to get their hands on an upgrade no matter what the cost. :)

14. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

Agreed :). Just means I don't buy through AT&T if it comes to that.

15. jbredz28 macrumors newbie

The reason I am asking these questions is that an AT&T rep told me in an AT&T store last night that I could purchase subsidized phones now and in June and sell the older ones on Ebay in June. She said a new 2 year contract would start in June. She also stated that this is what 2G owners did when the 3G was released.

16. jbredz28 macrumors newbie

Just called the 800 number for AT&T Wireless Sales. The rep told me I could purchase subsidized iPhone 3Gs now and if new ones are released in June I would be able to upgrade to those and pay the subsidized price for them and would still own the 3Gs that wouldn't be under contract (sell on Ebay).

17. Brendon Bauer macrumors 6502

I hope she mentioned the "upgrade" price is $75 + a possible $18 activation fee. It's $75 for an early upgrade, which is what you'll be doing. I wanted to do this a year ago and followed the AT&T rep's advice (who said I should sign up/buy now and then wait for the iPhone), but got shafted in the end and was told to pay the full price of the iPhone because I had already got a subsidized phone.

Don't listen to them. They are just trying their best to hook you in and make a profit. It's their job, just like a car salesman. It would be smartest to wait 2 months and save yourself the hassle of either $200, extra $ for upgrade fee, or whatever.

EDIT: You're telling me they said you can buy a subsidized iPhone and not renew your contract for another 2 years? If so, they're full of crap. Once you buy a subsidized iPhone, your contract is pushed out 2 years from that date and your upgrade eligibility out a year and a half (approximately). This mean you CANNOT buy a subsidized iPhone in a couple months when they are released (unless you pay $75-100 in early upgrade fee's, which you can only do once on your account). I also talked to an AT&T sales rep a week ago who confirmed this to me.

18. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

That AT&T rep is incorrect then, wow. The original iPhone was unsubsidized, so of course you could upgrade to whatever subsidized phone you'd want. The iPhone 3G is subsidized however. Sorry to point you to AT&T, seems even they don't know what the crap is going on. :)