When should i buy my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshnathan, Jun 17, 2011.

1. joshnathan macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm looking to get a new laptop and whilst i can get it now i don't really need it till university starts again in late september. Am i better off getting it now, or waiting for september? I'm currently looking at a 13" MBP.

2. simsaladimbamba

Buy it when you need it. If you are thinking, that there will be an update, then there will be none, an update will happen in 2012. There is also the BackToSchool program going on right now.

3. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I highly doubt there will be a refresh anytime soon. So it's up to you. Some people are waiting for Lion to be preinstalled, which should be in about a month. If you can wait, then I say wait for preinstalled Lion. If not now is fine and you can get the free Lion upgrade.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Buy it now and take advantage of a free $100 app store card and $100 rebate for a printer... why wouldnt you?

5. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

you should buy a macbook pro when you decide you want/"need" a macbook pro. not to be literal but that's basically what it comes down to.

6. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Buy it when you need it. You may find there is a small speed bump in CPU, but otherwise there tends to be only one major refresh roughly per year. I doubt we'll see another major refresh until Intel produce new processors.

7. MJNBGA macrumors regular

I asked the same question (check out my profile). If you need it, buy one now. If you can afford to wait, wait 'till the refresh

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

9. tombubi macrumors regular

Dont think they will have refresh MBP that soon. So buy it when you need it !!

10. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

By the time you need it, in September, there won't be any new refresh. So just buy it now and make use of it meanwhile. We won't see new models any time soon, and the Back to School promotion will benefit you.

11. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

How long will the back to school program last? Til August?

12. ReddDraggon macrumors member

My bold:

He's from the UK. No printer rebate here.

13. macbookprodad macrumors member

macbookprodad

go ahead and pick up MBP, it will be your partner all the way

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you buy one now and plan to take your Mac to the beach, waterpark, or other recreational activities, then I'd suggest waiting until September when you're busy; otherwise buy now. :)

15. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

16. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

If you need it now I'd get it but if you can wait your 13" MBP will be preloaded with Lion.

17. AMacbook macrumors member

Back to School ends September 20th FYI so he could wait until September.

My reason would be MBPs have longer battery life and better sturdiness than most or all Windows Laptops. They also last a long time and the 2.7 GHz i7 is the most powerful Dual-Core out there (Not 100% sure). The HD camera is also very good. The only downside of the MBP is they don't sell much in a few years.

18. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

There is zero benifts in having 10.7 preloaded. You're actually worse off, not being able to keep 10.6.x on a partition and then install 10.7 on a different partition. Honestly, I like 10.6.8 much better than the current preview of 10.7, so I would be kicking myself if I installed 10.7 over 10.6.8.

As for the argument that it's simpler to have it preinstalled; if you can't click a few icons and follow an installer, maybe you're better off not having a computer then...

19. Julius Caesar macrumors newbie

SL is a prerequisite for Lion, right? If so, how will users with preloaded lion reinstall? It seems silly to give them all SL disks.

20. lgfaver macrumors member

take it from someone who just bought a new 13inch MBP. get your butt to MicroCenter and buy!
    I paid a total of $1082 (tax included).

21. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Posted this elsewhere, but might be worth repeating: you should be able to price match with Best Buy the $999 (Micro Center - Apple MacBook Pro MC700LL/A Laptop Computer - Silver MC700LL/A), then get their $100 gift card, which comes out to just under a grand after tax.

22. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I don't think you need to have 10.6 to install 10.7, as you can install 10.7 on a clean partition.

The only problem I can see is that people are saying 10.7 only be available through the app store; but I still can't imagine you won't be able to get 10.7 on either a DVD or flash drive or something physical.

23. Ach111es macrumors regular

Buy it now.

Reason 1: If you are new to the OS you have time to adapt and transfer work before school.

Reason 2: if it has any problems, you would know by September before school started (for the most part) and wouldn't be in a rush to get a replacement.

Reason 3: Lion is a delta update, just as the new autosave feature kinda works. You need snow leopard in order to do a fresh install of lion actually.

Reason 4: much like reason 1, more time to enjoy the fresh new lappie and break it in. Plus time to order any extras and accessories so you can get those in (ssd, bag, invisible shield, etc.)

24. tombubi macrumors regular

Buy it when you need it. There shouldnt be any refresh for that this year. I am sure you will enjoy it when you own it.