When should I buy my MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Didag, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Didag macrumors newbie

I currently have a mid-2012, 13-inch MacBook Pro with upgraded RAM. I have to return the computer to my school this year in early May. I know there has been a delay in the Broadwell and I was wondering if it's known when those MacBooks will be coming out? And now I'm also hearing about SkyLake and I'm wondering if it's worth waiting for those. What would you recommend I wait for? Will SkyLake be a big step up from Broadwell? I'm going to have this new laptop for a while and am trying to figure out what's best in the long run.

Thanks!

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Do you need a computer after you have to return your current one in early may? From the sound of it you won't have a computer after that in which case you might as well wait until then and buy whatever is available as you will need it then.

3. Didag thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I forgot to specify. I will need a computer after May.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I think May 2015 would be a good time to buy your MacBook.

5. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Based on what? I say wait untill June, if OP can. There is a big chance that Apple releases new macbook pros in June/July around WWDC.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would assume based on the OP saying that he will need a computer after he turns in his current one to the school in early may. Whatever upgrades might come in June it isn't worth going a month without your computer.

7. Didag thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'll need a laptop over the summer. I'm wondering if it's worth buying a bad laptop off Kijiji or something to tide me over if I think it's worth waiting until a new MacBook comes out.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

Well, is your laptop important to your life? Do you make money with it? Will having a lesser laptop affect some quality in your life you've deemed essential?

I can't imagine buying a ****** laptop to use for two months just so I could have the latest and greatest Apple laptop, and I've owned nothing but Apple laptops since 2001.

But hey, if you can deal with that kind of hassle, sure.

But I'd buy a laptop when I needed one, which is whenever my current laptop either a) no longer is able to serve my needs, b) breaks beyond reasonable repair, or, as in your case, c) is no longer available to me.