When should I buy my new iMac???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by backbraker25, Nov 1, 2009.

1. backbraker25 macrumors member

Hey guys!

I've seen the commercials and decided i wanted to be cool as well!

I'm about to jump ship, ditching my PC for a Mac.
    I've been using a PC exclusively for the last 15 years and i have actually never really handled a mac.

I'm currently looking into getting the new iMac 27" and my question is the following: should i buy now or wait for the holiday sales or perhaps bundles (if there any). After having read about their 3rd quarter earnings, I'm not sure why they should.

I was wondering as well, aside from elevating from a boring PC guy to a overly cool and somewhat pretentious Mac owner. What are some of the other benefits i can expect? Please don't quote the commercials! (I'm a small business owner).

Thanks guys and looking froward to joining your ranks.

-S

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I would wait until Black Friday, third party retailers such as MacMall and Amazon (if they get the model you want up by then) will have specials, in addition to Apple. The former are normally larger then the latter.

As to getting a Mac. Expect a computer that does what it is supposed to, isn't susceptible to viruses, looks incredible and has an interface that just makes sense. I hightly reccomend checking out Apple's propaganda media regarding getting a Mac.

3. prodigee macrumors 6502a

That made me laugh. and just like GoldenMacKid said wait until Black Friday, the third party retailers usually have pretty good discounts of 200-300 off. IMO well worth the wait.

4. backbraker25 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys,

I guess i should have mentioned that I'm from Canada (Montreal). Unfortunately we don't have Black Friday here, Our version would be Boxing day which is on Dec 26th but typically involves retailers discounting old stock.

If any Canadians here know something i don't please share.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

you should 100% get yourself a set of logitech z5500's to accompany your new speakers :D:D:D that is what i am getting :)

also, check out the Griffin PowerMate. its neat.

oh wow: pretty sure you should ignore me! i thought you said "what should i buy my new imac" hahahaha. sorry!!

buy it now! BUY BUY BUY!

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Speaking of propaganda, did anyone else think that the 'Broken Promises' commercial smelled of FUD? It implied that win 7 was going to be as problematic as vista, xp and (shudder) windows me, without giving any facts to back it up. I've got a win 7 dual boot on my macbook, and it's pretty good. Even some well known mac pundits have given it praise. Come to think of it, did you notice how they didn't mention windows 2000? For its day, it was an excellent os.

If Redmond tried using that kind of FUD on OS X, a lot of mac users would be sharpening pitchforks and lighting torches when they weren't sending letters and phone calls to their congressmen and the FCC...

Maybe a better commercial would be to have pc say that windows 7 is supposed to be an improvement over xp and vista, and have mac look nauseated and say, "I hope so, PC. I can run windows, too; and frankly I've been out of sorts since someone subjected me to Vista." PC can then reach over and pat mac on the shoulder sympathetically.

7. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Hey man. Don't hijack the thread. That's just rude. Post this in the thread about the commercials, not here.

That being said, if you consider that propaganda, then you might as well throw 99% of marketing media into that pile. How often does something not work as well as the commercial said it did?

Back on topic: I'm from Canada and unfortunately don't know of any discounts based on holidays. I used my educational discount in the summer and that was more than enough for me. I liked the assurance of buying from Apple, too (even if it was all in my head). If you purchase it for your small business, you can write it off as an expense, so why don't you just do that. That would surely be just as big if not bigger a discount than Black Friday or such.

8. SWISSHAT macrumors member

SWISSHAT

Reasons for buying a mac over PC.

1. Really no viruses.
    2. Windows 7 = another nail in the MS coffin
    3. Everything just works, no need to manually hunt for config, unless you really want to
    4. Cool machine (beautiful and well made)
    5. New experience compared to PC.
    6. Seamlessly sync with my iPhone (all vanilla and no hacks)
    :)
    I made the jump 2 years back, never looked back since.
    Every thing works.

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Whilst I love my Mac I'm curious as to why Windows 7 is another nail in the MS coffin?

It's been widely praised by most users.

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

So was Vista initially and it flopped badly. Early praise doesn't mean anything anymore.

11. Phazer80s macrumors regular

Apple Canada discounts its products for a one-day sale the same day as Black Friday.

But here's a question – does Apple do price adjustments for products purchased before this sale?

12. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

1. In 25 years with PCs, I never had a problem with viruses on my machines. Install a proper anti-virus software, don't click on everything that moves and it's a non-issue.

2. Windows 7 is more likely to become a nail in Apple's coffin. Win7 is more robust and faster than Snow Leopard and at least as comfortable to use. And Win7, being the de facto industry standard, is compatible with every piece of hard- and software on the market - OS X is not.

3. Only the most basic stuff in OS X "just works". And on that level, Windows and even Linux also "just work". Besides, you just have to suck up what Apple gives you, but all other platforms make it easy to customize the system to your personal preferences and needs.

4. Yeah. Like a Porsche. You just have to be able to afford it, and even then a Porsche is not always the best choice for everybody. I wouldn't want to drive through the Serengeti with one, for example. Or move to a new house or do some heavy shopping with it. Also, as my grandmother always said: "Other mothers have beautiful daughters, too."

5. What an argument. Download Linux or FreeBSD and you will also get a new experience - and that without having to pay for it! You can even get a fancy animated Dock in Linux. In fact, Linux - and even Windows - have more eye candy than OS X. And all competing operating systems have better performing and more stable operating system kernels than OS X.

6. Wonderful. I bet Windows users can say the same once they've installed iTunes for Windows. In case you haven't noticed, most iPhone and iPod users don't use Macs - and probably most of them don't even know that Apple sells computers.

I made the "jump" to Mac four years ago and have been looking back A LOT since then. There's too many stuff in real life that still doesn't work on Macs and plain and simple REQUIRES Windows.

And the "everything works" slogan can only be true when you are not very demanding.

13. dantak macrumors newbie

Back to addressing the subject of this forum. As far as "when" goes I can tell you from ALOT of personal experience, wait at least 6 months after apple releases something new. I bought a Yikes G4 immediately and shortly after apple introduced the sawtooth mother board. I bought one of the new Intel Core Duo iMac's shortly after they were released and less than a year later, here comes the Intel Core2Duo. I bought a first generation Ipod touch, less than a year later 2nd gen ipod touch comes out thinner with volume buttons and a built in speaker. I would definitely wait until innovation at apple stagnates for a few months before buying anything. Don't buy anything (ie. the new iMac) "new" from apple. Wait until it has been on the market for a while. Apple loves to introduce stuff knowing full well that they have something much cooler that will be ready to release in a few months.

14. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Yeah, I also find the nail in the coffin remark completely unfounded. Back when vista came out, the entire pc community complained about it. It was the red-headed step-child from the get go. With 7, it's the exact opposite. I haven't used it yet, but I'll probably be upgrading to it after the first service pack is out.

Alot of the mac vs windows points are pretty moot at this point; it's just a matter of what you prefer. At this point I'm unsure whether I'll be sticking with apple next time I buy/build a new machine.