When should I buy the MBP Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by likers, Sep 9, 2011.

1. likers, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

likers macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm a freshman in University of Utah. I want to buy a 13" MBP but I don't know at what time will it be cheaper?

In the campus bookstore the price is 1049 without tax. Add tax will be 1120. And the Amazon is 1138.

Will Apple make some big discount during the Christmas? If that I can wait.

I really don' know when to buy it is better.

Could someone give me some advice?

Thank you!!!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It will be the same price until the next version comes out, so there's not much use in waiting.

3. likers thread starter macrumors newbie

I've heard the rumor that new version will come out November 15th, is that true?

4. Liquinn Suspended

Link? That rumor was about the Mac Pro (desktop).

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Likely not, but really, no one knows other than the people currently working on it. My guess is that there won't be a significant change until next year

6. likers thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yes it is MAC Pro. I'm wrong. :)

----------

Thx! It seems like the hot topic is iphone5, Apple will not pay more attention on macbook......

7. mountains macrumors regular

This. Apple doesn't really feel like telling anyone about their products before they're released. There could be Macbook Pros in 2011, but it makes a lot more sense to wait until March 2012 when Ivy Bridge CPUs are on the market.

8. Liquinn Suspended

I'm personally waiting, might as well, since it'll be faster hopefully and it would be nice to own the latest and greatest for a while.

Cheers

9. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

lol, I am a student at the University of Utah as well =)

I purchased mine at the Apple Store at the Gateway and showed them my U card to get their student discount. Purchased a 15 inch Macbook Pro and I love it. You most likely won't see prices drop much and I don't remember seeing any sales or promotions during the holidays.

Only thing I can say is if you need it now, then buy it. If you don't need it now, then wait for the next generation then...which could be a while. If you need it now, but want to save $50 and are willing to wait for something that may not happen, then go ahead... you said you can wait.

10. likers thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow!! Small world~~ :)
    Thank you!
    Maybe I can't wait so long for next generation~~I think it's to bring that guy home LOL~~

11. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Hello from the south side of the Salt Lake Valley!

Anyway as others have said... Apple doesn't really put their stuff on sale. Best bet is Apple online store + education discount. You can wait for Ivy Bridge if you want, but you might need it before next year.

12. likers thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, Apple online store + education discount is enough. I just make the dream of 20%off on Christmas, ~~\^O^/~~

13. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I am honestly surprised no one has answered with this reply yet:

You should buy it when you need it.

If you're looking for special kind of seasonal deals or something, then the above posters have already answered that.

I also disagree with the above poster. The cheapest way to pick up a 2011 13" MBP is through Microcenter (if you live by one). If that isn't an option, than a refurbished model at the Apple store, which is still cheaper than buying it new via Edu. discount.

14. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

Some Apple Stores will even match MicroCenter's price ($999 plus tax). I'd try that first.

15. parker770 macrumors member

Check out the refurbs that Apple sells on their site. You can get some great deals, and they are every bit as good as new. You get the same warranty, customer service, etc. as the new machine, but you can get a lot more computer for your money.

16. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

You get a $100 gift card for being a student.

17. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

No Microcenters in Utah, plus I'd want that $100 app store card along with the student discount myself.

18. roow110 macrumors regular

There are many rumors circulating that Apple is making a MacBook Pro crossed with a MacBook Air, this would be announced sometime in November. I might consider waiting till then. Basically what this would give you is a 15 inch screen on a super-thin laptop with flash storage and more power probably than the current MBPs. The main thing it would likely lose would be the SuperDrive and a lot of thickness and weight.

19. nyc999 macrumors regular

why does microcenter sell them cheaper? Are they always used macs? what is the quality?

20. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Definitely don't count on more power. Something the thickness of the Air (or close) couldn't handle a 45W CPU (which all the quads are), and a 35W would likely be too hot as well. My guess is that you would see the i7 2629M and 2649M, which are 25W, and 2.1 and 2.3GHz dual cores.

Not sure how they can sell them so much cheaper. They may sell them at cost just to get business. They are all brand new in box, same as the apple store.

21. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

There will always be something new around the corner, this is the way of computers and especially Macs. I ordered my 15" 2.2ghz MBP the other night, hopefully get it some time next week and I cannot wait.

If you need something now, then get it now.

22. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Exactly. If you're like me you're patient and waiting for Ivy Bridge and chassis refresh.

23. likers thread starter macrumors newbie

Crazy!$999……what a pity I'm in Utah......:(

24. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just buy it now & enjoy it. Waiting is futile.