When should I buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bm96, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Bm96 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I've been looking at the buying guide for the Macbook Pro Retina and it's saying it's in mid product cycle. Does this mean there is a bad chance a new Pro will be released before the fall school season? I am buying one for college and am unsure when to pull the trigger on it or should be waiting, because I've never had a Mac before and I think buying it now would be a better choice so I could get used to it.

2. asdfgbg macrumors regular

asdfgbg

If you need it now, buy it. There will always be a newer version :D

3. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

There's a high chance that it will be refreshed between now and your first day of college in August. I would wait. OS X is really simple to use unless you are technologically inept.

4. Bm96 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, that's all I need to know! Sounds great so I guess I'm waiting for now.

5. And macrumors 6502

And

Also, Apple usually offer an education deal during the summer, so if you bought later you would get a good deal - usually it is a chunk of appstore/itunes credit, i don't recall how much it was in 2013.

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

which model are you looking at?

Depending on your needs.. the refurb store has a lot of selection between the 12' and 13' models.

You could pick up a very powerful computer (possibly more then you need) on the cheap right now.

Or you can wait and get the latest n greatest. (possibly new Retina Air?)

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree. The new Intel Broadwell chipset will be out by Q3 and you can count on a new Macbook series based on that chipset.

8. Bm96 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm looking at the retina pro for sure but nothing over a $1500 pricepoint.

I see the Macbook Pro "education pricing" that they have compared to regular pricing which is $100 off any model but I was unsure if this was the deal they were giving for college students entering next semester.

9. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Got a link for that? I don't think that's known yet.

To the OP, I'd get one now, you can always be waiting for a update, you should have some fun now. There won't be a major update for several months.

10. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

I'd wait. The next gen can, perhaps, who knows, maybe, solve the screen problems on current retina Macbooks, like backlight bleeding, image persistence or uneven color casts.

11. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Which are not widespread at all and you can exchange for a better one.

12. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If you win the display lottery. If it's not widespread we wouldn't see 600+ pages in a single topic of Apple Support Communities. My guess is that only displays which suffer from IR don't have the other issues. If you have a display with any issue chances are that you're color blind or didn't noted IR yet. But I can be wrong, just saw too much topics about this specific problem (and even topics from people happy with their displays). The conclusion is that people happy are more tolerant or don't take color uniformity too seriously.

13. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

My display is perfect and I'm picky. The thing you're missing is people who have a great display don't post everywhere saying how great it is. Yes, people have problems with them, but you can exchange and get one that works. It is not a huge problem as it would be much, much more talked about if it was remotely widespread.

14. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

But he won't always be waiting for an update. He knows when he needs a computer by, and that won't be for several months, and there will most likely be refresh by then. He will benefit by waiting. If a refresh doesn't come out, which is unlikely, it's no sweat off his back, because he didn't need one prior to the first day of class anyways.

15. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

When should you buy?

Now.

I am on my 2nd 15-inch retina MacBook Pro in a row with a... good display...the one bought for me at work two months ago has the LG, the one I bought for myself yesterday, has the Samsung. Nerve wracking to be sure (after reading this forum). I've setup 5 of the 13-inch rMBP model at work & their screens were all fine. So the water's fine, come on in.

16. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Apple's education pricing for individuals has remained mostly the same for years - I'd imagine that this will continue through the summer and any new machines. Typically they've added a $100 iTunes/App Store credit on top of getting the edu discount on the computer when that promotion takes place (early June through early September). Since it is subject to change every year, they may not do it, but if past history is anything to look at, they probably will.

Years ago, they'd allow you to do education pricing and get an iPod free after rebate if the two were purchased together. This gave way to the iTunes/App Store credit more recently.

Also, I know a number of institutions do bundled promotions, so you might want to check on that. It usually involves some sort default configuration, 3 years of AppleCare, and any other school-chosen items (cases, flash drives, MS Office, ethernet cables, printers, etc.) for a price that is just a bit more than the machine by itself. You may want to see if yours is doing something like this, as it may be a bit tough to compare directly to Apple's pricing, but could be a better deal.

17. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Smart money says there’ll be a minor spec bump in June. And as already mentioned, Apple’s back-to-school promo will let you save a bit more.

Right now the best bang for your buck is the 13.3″ 2.4 / 8 / 256 model, but next summer there will probably be a slightly better machine for the same price.

18. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Why don't you contact the schools books store and get it through them, this way if there's special software needed they can either install it for you or assist you? Also where your going to school at what will they offer for repairs / Applecare. I know some colleges have contracts with some 3rd party Apple authorized repairs centers where I am.

Also you've never owned a Mac before, have you gone to an apple store and talked to them and used the different models?

Have you considered a refurbished model ?

19. Bm96 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually haven't got accepted anywhere yet. Just applied. But I should get my acceptances in March.... sticky situation huh.

20. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

Nah - that will give you plenty of time to get a machine, and the best thing to do is wait as long as you can in case there are an updates/spec bumps...

21. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Based on that I'd suggest you wait, till you get your letter and decide from there. You can walk into any bookstore on campus and get a computer and if not on campus at then the local Apple store.

But goto a Apple store and play and ask all the questions you can think of before investing in an Apple computer.

Well I think it's an investment.

:apple:

22. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Right here.

I think what makes the OP's "should I get one now" question a little different is he does not need a computer now, he needs one for college in September. So there is really no downside to waiting to see what is available in September IMO.

23. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

That sure doesn't seam too trustworthy and I believe this is talking about the release date for the top of the line desktop chips. I'm sure the mobile chips will come a lot later.

24. Bm96 thread starter macrumors newbie

For now I'm waiting if you guys want to keep updating me on this thread with info about maybe a new one coming out that would be great, I'll be monitoring it and looking for any rumors of a new one releasing. Alternatively I can grab one anytime if after my graduation / in the summer when I need it.

25. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I can't imagine what if any extreme improvements Apple will be able to throw at the MacBook Pro line up. Updated processors, great ram capability, maybe squeeze a better battery into it. The shape won't change or the screen.

I think between now and August the biggest updates will come in the shape of iWatch (maybe), iPad Pro (which might kill the MBAir), Updated iPad internals, iPhone 6 (highly doubt), Updated Thunderbolt Display (they'd better update it or suffer) and who knows what else. But I think this is a good list of maybes.

Point being, if you're high and dry now then pick a computer up, you won't regret it. But in this system items are always being made to "be better" so you'll only be winning until the next big thing comes out. Like you said, you've never had a Mac before, it might be worth it to pick one up earlier so that you know you even want a Macbook at all. OSX isn't hard to navigate but being efficient with a tool means know how it works.

0.02$ from a college student who was in the same situation.