When should I ditch my A1226 model MBP for the newer model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petergent, Sep 9, 2009.

1. petergent macrumors newbie

hey there,

I've been contemplating recently (as most mac users do) about switching my 2 year old MBP (2.2 ghz, 2gb ram, 8600m) to the new MBP (15" 2.8, newer gfx, touchpad and a few minor details).

I've been eying the ebay prices for some time and my particular model (with charger, snow leopard, original accessories but w/o box) is valued at about 700gbp. Perhaps people might disagree with me here - how much is it really worth ?

My main point / question is really at what point should I ditch the existing MBP in favor of the new mbp - does it really offer me that much of a benefit at this time to upgrade? I'd sure like the new graphics card in there (is it really that much better?) but I'm not sure there's a significant enough difference there.

On the other hand if I wait much longer the MBP will become pretty devalued and not get me much back for the new and improved MBP - maybe apple's going to improve them soon anyway?

hmm, yes. Interesting indeed!

2. joe8232 macrumors regular

Hey! I had pretty much the same machine as you [same spec 120gb hdd], mine did have 3 more years of applecare [c/o buying through HE store]. I sold mine when the new machines came out and got £700 for it - though that was pretty much the minimum I really wanted to take for it. I bought the new 2.53ghz 13" MBP rather than the 15" [don't regret that decision at all]. The machine is pretty zippy though not its not really noticeable during normal use. The main reason for me was that I could stick a 500gb hard drive in it without voiding the extra applecare.

I do think though that once they go over the initial devaluation they tend to stay at the same price ie. i also sold a 3.5 year 2.0ghz core duo macbook pro around the same time and got £600 for it.

I guess it is a personal decision whether you want one of the new style computers, can't comment on the new graphics as the 13" only has the 9400m. Hope that helps a bit.

3. petergent thread starter macrumors newbie

how long ago did you sell that for the upgrade? maybe it's different now ?