When should I ditch my A1226 model MBP for the newer model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by petergent, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. petergent macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2009
    #1
    hey there,

    I've been contemplating recently (as most mac users do) about switching my 2 year old MBP (2.2 ghz, 2gb ram, 8600m) to the new MBP (15" 2.8, newer gfx, touchpad and a few minor details).

    I've been eying the ebay prices for some time and my particular model (with charger, snow leopard, original accessories but w/o box) is valued at about 700gbp. Perhaps people might disagree with me here - how much is it really worth ?

    My main point / question is really at what point should I ditch the existing MBP in favor of the new mbp - does it really offer me that much of a benefit at this time to upgrade? I'd sure like the new graphics card in there (is it really that much better?) but I'm not sure there's a significant enough difference there.

    On the other hand if I wait much longer the MBP will become pretty devalued and not get me much back for the new and improved MBP - maybe apple's going to improve them soon anyway?

    hmm, yes. Interesting indeed!
     
  2. joe8232 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    #2
    Hey! I had pretty much the same machine as you [same spec 120gb hdd], mine did have 3 more years of applecare [c/o buying through HE store]. I sold mine when the new machines came out and got £700 for it - though that was pretty much the minimum I really wanted to take for it. I bought the new 2.53ghz 13" MBP rather than the 15" [don't regret that decision at all]. The machine is pretty zippy though not its not really noticeable during normal use. The main reason for me was that I could stick a 500gb hard drive in it without voiding the extra applecare.

    I do think though that once they go over the initial devaluation they tend to stay at the same price ie. i also sold a 3.5 year 2.0ghz core duo macbook pro around the same time and got £600 for it.

    I guess it is a personal decision whether you want one of the new style computers, can't comment on the new graphics as the 13" only has the 9400m. Hope that helps a bit.
     
  3. petergent thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2009
    #3
    how long ago did you sell that for the upgrade? maybe it's different now ?
     

Share This Page