Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hi have a macbook pro retina with the dedicated graphics card mid 2015, should I get AppleCare? Is it better to get it when its just about to end, justt incase you ever spill something?. First time i would ever get Applecare

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Hi have a macbook pro retina with the dedicated graphics card mid 2015, should I get AppleCare? Is it better to get it when its just about to end, justt incase you ever spill something?. First time i would ever get Applecare

If you live in a country that values consumer law and consumer rights like Australia, AppleCare is not required as this is supplied as normal without it.

justywusty

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I got AppleCare for my 2011 MacBook Air and had to use it when the display died, which would have cost me $550 or so to fix. So...I was up. Could have been down the price of AppleCare, but it worked in my favour.

It's been the same for me and my iPhone...AppleCare has paid for itself many times as I've had to get mine fixed.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014

AppleCare for Mac isn't going to cover accidental damage from drops & spills. If you want an extended ADH warranty you'll need to purchase from third-party like SquareTrade within 30 days of purchasing the MacBook from an authorized dealer.

AppleCare covers hardware failures only, as does your warranty for the first year. If you're undecided right now, I see no reason to jump and purchase a plan. See how most of the first year goes with your new machine, set calendar reminder before the warranty expires (if you think you'll forget) and decide then.

Reactions: ABC5S

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Hi have a macbook pro retina with the dedicated graphics card mid 2015, should I get AppleCare?

If you want to. Most extended warranties are not worth it. I'm on the fence about AppleCare. I've bought it on one of my Macs but none of the others.

Is it better to get it when its just about to end, justt incase you ever spill something?. First time i would ever get Applecare

Anytime before the one year warranty expires.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Home/Renters Insurance may cover accidental spills/damage as mine does. As others have pointed out, AppleCare does not.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Apple care is completely worth it on macs and iPhones.

I've got my whole external shell replaced on this Mac and on the previous one had hard disk, motherboard and the whole shell replaced as well.

On an iPhone, if you're gonna keep it for at least 2 years then chances of a broken screen is high, couple that up with a battery replacement towards the end of the 2nd year and you've recouped more than enough for it.

If not anything, the peace of mind I get from it is worth it.

Brientim

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2014
AppleCare... Apple's way of stating the reliability of their systems are questionable and they want to pass the liability on to the consumer albeit upfront with AppleCare or later when failures occur. Otherwise, if they had confidence, this would just be standard warranty.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is it better to get it when its just about to end, justt incase you ever spill something?.
Apple care extends the one year warranty and gives you two more years from your date of purchase, so it doesn't matter if you buy/activate it on the day you get the computer or the 364th day. The expiration date will remain the same.

If you search around, both Amazon and BH Video have excellent deals on applecare.

You'll get a mix of opinions regarding the worth of Applecare, it is after all an extended warranty and those typically are not worth the cost. With that said, if something goes wrong with your laptop in year 2 or 3, it will definitely be more money then the applecare coverage.

I've purchased AC inconsistently through the years, some times, I did buy it with my Macs, sometimes I didn't. If anything it offers a peace of mind that you know your very expensive computer will have a warranty on it, for a full 3 years.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
AppleCare... Apple's way of stating the reliability of their systems are questionable and they want to pass the liability on to the consumer albeit upfront with AppleCare or later when failures occur. Otherwise, if they had confidence, this would just be standard warranty.
You do know every manufacturer has to have a year long standard warranty yeah?! Just saying...

Reactions: ABC5S

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
I usually used to get AppleCare, except for this 6 Plus I have now. I got it through cell provider on contract, and mistakenly assumed that like Macs, you had a year to decide to get AC. Went into Apple Store to get AppleCare about a month after the deadline (90 days), and they wouldn't let me get it. Phone is 21 months old at this point, and battery still is at 98% health, so can't complain.

If anything, that experience has taught me that I probably don't need to bother getting AC in the future, at least for iOS devices, because I usually get a LifeProof case for them, which takes care of accidental damage concerns for me. Such is the cost of Apple not making an exception in my case. They are out the additional revenue from any potential iOS device AC purchases I would have made in the future now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You do know every manufacturer has to have a year long standard warranty yeah?! Just saying...
Actually it depends on the local consumer laws. In other parts of the world, the standard warranty is in excess of 1 year.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Actually it depends on the local consumer laws. In other parts of the world, the standard warranty is in excess of 1 year.
Minimum of 1 year I mean. Where's it more than a year By the way,? I've never seen it.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes I've been to that page before. It is just 1 year warranty.
Right, that page shows that Apple provides a one-year limited warranty, and also that Consumer Laws in the UK allows for a claim period of 6 years from date of delivery (England and Wales), and 5 years from date of delivery (Scotland).

Per that page:
Should your product be defective or if it does not conform with the contract of sale, you can choose to make a claim under UK consumer law, the Apple One-Year Limited Warranty or the optional AppleCare Protection Plan or AppleCare+ (whichever is applicable).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

When did you buy the MacBookPro retina? That will determine how long you have to buy AppleCare.

You can buy Applecare up to a year - up to the first anniversary of the date you bought that computer, but not a day after that.

As this thread amply demonstrates, the topic of AppleCare divides people quite sharply into two camps.

Personally, I buy AppleCare on all of my Apple computers, but I have never bought it for my iPods. AppleCare extends the warranty for a further two years, - giving you a total of three years extended warranty.

My experience is that it pays for itself. My first computer was a MBP, and, in the third year, the HDD failed completely. It was replaced without any problem,.

On my MBAs, I have had to use AppleCare on two of them; MagSafe issues (on both) and keyboard issues (on both) - at different times. Everything that needed to be done was done without charge.

Personally, when I buy a computer, I buy Applecare with it. It gives me peace of mind for three years, which is all that I hold on to a computer for. That means that my buying cycle, in fact, is dictated by the AppleCare warranty; generally, I think of buying a new computer when Applecare is close to running out, rather than when something new in a technological sense has been developed.

It also helps when selling a computer on; it is not that having AppleCare will add hugely to the price you can hope to get - it won't - but, it will give a potential buyer a bit of peace of mind, knowing that there may be a few months of AppleCare still to run on a computer that they are thinking of buying.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Right, that page shows that Apple provides a one-year limited warranty, and also that Consumer Laws in the UK allows for a claim period of 6 years from date of delivery (England and Wales), and 5 years from date of delivery (Scotland).

Per that page:
Yes, but consumer law is different. The responsibility of such claims fall on the consumer to prove that the device had a manufacturing defect or an inherent fault from the start, otherwise it doesn't have any value and it is almost impossible to prove it if you have crossed the first 6 months.

So yeah, warranty and consumer law are different legal thing.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Depends on how you plan to use your machine. If it's going to be seeing light action, I would recommend not getting AC, if you plan to use it for things such As gaming, which push the CPU / GPU and produce lots of heat, if recommend getting AC. From my experiece I've killed all the macs I had within 3 years when I used them for gaming

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.