When should i get Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arsenalroc, Oct 5, 2006.

  1. arsenalroc macrumors newbie

    Oct 5, 2006
    This is my first post so please bear with me. i have been using PCs my whole life and frankly i am sick of it( tooo many crashes!). I graduate at the end of this year and need to get a notebook before i start university in January( i live in Australia). Every student in my school 'loans' a personal notebook computer from the school, we are currenlty using Acer travelmate 370s and there is whereall our work is done. At the end of school, i have to return my notebook and for the first time since grade 6( i am grade 12) i wont have a notebook. I realli am curious to as how good macbooks are( i have admired them for a long time). I mostly use it to do study,research,listen to music though i like to play games such as Fifa 2006 and Counter strike though not extensively. My question is should i take the leap into mac and when should i get one?. Should i hold out till core 2 duo models come out or should i just go ahead and get the current models? i have to return my computer in the next month so i am quite keen to get one. I am in a quite a bind
  2. weiss macrumors member

    Oct 4, 2006
  3. MikeyWord macrumors newbie

    Oct 5, 2006
    Perth, Western Australia

    Im in the same situation!

    I hear it might be updated next Tuesday? If it is... YAY if not.. I dunno... I think im going to buy an iMac if that happens =P

    Im really waiting for the Core 2 Duo cpu to get in there (64bit) and a better graphics chip, probably still integrated =(

    I wanna laptop! Could next tuesday be the one?
  4. JMies419 macrumors 6502

    Aug 24, 2006
    Just buy one! You will be happy you did! I am. :D
  5. arsenalroc thread starter macrumors newbie

    Oct 5, 2006
    haha yea its a big problem!
    JMies419- wat specs do you have?
  6. Markleshark macrumors 603


    Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    Ah damn, you should have bought yesterday. C2Ds for 20 minutes yesterday and now their gone forever... Oh well, I guess you missed that.

    Just buy a one, *shrugs* it'll be right. There is always going to be updates round the corner... Aparntly on a Tuesday. Tuesday is my new favourite day of the week.
  7. kalun macrumors regular

    Sep 13, 2006
    when you meet all of the followings:

    1. When you need one (I mean absolute last date). There is no point of you buying a laptop that you don't need only to have it depriciate in value everyday.
    (of cuz with the exception of, a discount offer/you want to get one to "show off"/you wish to make your laptop functions before handing off to university)

    2. When you have sufficiant money. Given that you are a student, you probably will need to a) work a part time job b) get your parents to give you money c) use whatever you can to get the money.

    just curious...Australia's highschool lend out laptops!!!!?? wow...do you guys pay like 110% income tax or something?
  8. codo macrumors 6502

    May 17, 2006
    England, United Kingdom
    Just get one - People on here have been saying its coming every week since the end of July... It's October. If you *needed* the computer, there would be no question here what so ever. So really, you can wait i suppose.

    Sorry to be blunt, but really, no one knows.
  9. Jasonbot macrumors 68020


    Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    There are three groups of macbook users on macrumors:

    1) Next Tuesday people, these guys always say wait till next tuesday, every week. really persistant buggers:D Often don't have their own macbooks. they enjoy laughing @ Stayers(see3) and Potential buyers.

    2) Current MacBook owners, these people will tell you to get a macbook NOW. They just don't want to be jealous if you evntually get a new (c2D)macbook.

    and 3) stayers, ppl who will wait no matter the costs, even if C2D is only released next year... or the year after that!

    In the end it's your own choice. Personally I'm a stayer.
  10. lmalave macrumors 68000


    Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    As other people have already said: just go ahead and get a MacBook if you need a new laptop. A possible CPU speed bump (even one this significant) is not a reason to postpone a purchase, in my opinion. I have the lowest-end MacBook and it's quite zippy.

    In general, the only thing that would make me delay a computer purchase if there is a new expected feature that I wouldn't be able to get on the existing model without either buying new software or (even worse) new hardware accessories. Examples would be:

    - New OS X or iLife updates (require buying software)
    - New communications features (new cutting-edge Wi-Fi or Bluetooth standards that wouldn't be available on current modelwithout buying a dongle or something.)
    - New hardware features (recent ones on various Macs have been: built in iSight, MagSafe power connector, tilt/motion sensor, backlit keys, etc.)
  11. Slipmip macrumors newbie

    Jul 21, 2006
    I myself just broke down today and ordered a black macbook, but I've needed one since Sept for school. Holding out just wasn't an option for me anymore, but if you can you should definitely wait. No reason not to, right?
  12. ruutiveijari macrumors regular

    Dec 11, 2005
    The graphics will stay the same until Santa Rosa arrives next year.
  13. j26 macrumors 65832


    Mar 30, 2005
    I'd go for it now (but then I have just recently got a MacBook and love it), but if you want to wait you should allow a couple of weeks to familiarise yourself with the new OS to get yourself up and running and about 3 weeks for delivery (if ordering online). Allow a bit for Christmas delivery and demand issues too. That puts some time in mid November as your cut off date.
  14. Jasonbot macrumors 68020


    Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    nooooooo save yourself fr a UG, its worth it. I'm goanna laugh @ all of you when my macC2Dbook comes :D
  15. viperguy macrumors 6502


    Nov 3, 2005
    I'm sure many using their macbook atm are laughing at you now too :D
  16. joebells macrumors 6502

    Oct 24, 2005
    appleinsider, whose track record is pretty good lately, says at least the macbook pro's are being updated very soon.
  17. mdickson macrumors regular

    Jul 8, 2006
    Baton Rouge, La.
  18. kgarchar macrumors 6502

    Sep 21, 2006
    general rule

    if you need it, get it. if you don't need it, wait. something better will always come out.
  19. barkins macrumors regular


    Sep 15, 2006
    Encino, CA

    Although I'm currently without a laptop, only a POS PC, I'm still willing to continue to wait for the Merom MacBook Pro, because I can afford to wait.

    However, if it's for your job or whatever, then by all means go for it.

    Need before greed! :cool:
  20. kevinliu4 macrumors regular

    Aug 8, 2006
    i bought my mbp in august when there was speculation that it would be upgraded. surprise surprise, we are now october and nothing has changed.

    if you want it, and can afford it, go for it. i am a switcher. the joy you will get from using a computer that doesn't crash and just works will make you very happy. seriously, it's an absolute pleasure to use. my vaio which is barely a year old is now just an expensive paper weight. i never looked back.

    i can say in all honesty that if a newer, faster, mbp comes out next week, it wouldn't bother me in the least. i've already enjoyed 2 months of pain free, even fun, computing.
  21. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    I don't see the Macbook line getting C2D until next spring at the earliest. I think they'll update the Macbook along witht he Mac Mini.

    In any case, I'd just buy one now. Even if it gets updated you'll still have a great machine, you could play the waiting game forever.
  22. EMAGDNIM macrumors member


    Oct 6, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I say get it now...you have to get your feet wet sometime soon...

Share This Page