When Should I get my iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dan9794, Mar 30, 2008.

  1. Dan9794 macrumors newbie

    Mar 30, 2008
    I Have been waiting for a long time to get my iMac because all these rumors about the Penryn processors. I think what's going to happen is, that they will skip the Penryn and then update at WWDC. Another thing that could happen is they update the iMac with the Penryn processors, then I buy it but, then Apple updates the iMac at WWDC with some super crazy awesome design and Montivenia processors. And I'm sitting here with the Penryn.
    I understand that Your always going to be behind in the wonderful world of technology but, I would like to be a head for the longest time.
  2. Petoz macrumors 6502


    Apr 1, 2008
    I am having the same problems. I want to buy my first mac, but dont want it to be out of date two weeks after i buy. Does anyone have any idea when the update will be? Do you think it would be worth buying a macbook until a proper update happens? Sorry this was not help to Dan9794, I just would like help too.
  3. amiga macrumors 6502


    Jul 12, 2006
    I'm waiting too... only Apple know. I'm starting to get the feeling that they are going to skip Penryn, in which case I guess I'll just end up with one of the existing setup.

    Petoz, Although once the product line is updated the existing models won't be the latest and greatest they are still cool computers and won't suddenly become redundant. Having said that I know who you feel.

    I got the iMac G5 a few months before the transition to INTEL... I wasn't amused, but I'm still using it and it can still do everything I want...
  4. nstchief macrumors newbie

    Mar 14, 2008
    I started wanting a new iMac in January, but I didn't buy because of the 'imminent updates'. I got bored with waiting and bought the iMac in February, and it has been the perfect machine for 2 months now.

    You can't go nuts trying to wait for the newest ones, because as soon as they are released the next newest will be on the horizon. The new chips aren't supposed to be much (if any) speed boost anyway - just power savings.

    Wait if you want, but just know it could be June before the next update. In that case you would have missed out on a few months with your new iMac.

    Also, there are killer deals on refurbs now. Upgrade to the high end 2.8 GHz machine now (refurb) for what the mid-range iMac will cost when the new ones come out. I'll bet that the current high end iMacs will outperform the yet-to-be-released mid-range iMacs.

Share This Page