When should I install Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matt07lx, Sep 17, 2009.

1. matt07lx macrumors newbie

I bought a copy of SL a couple of weeks ago to update my early 2008 MBP, 4 GB memory. But after reading lots of complaints I decided to hold off until some bug fixes come out.

Well....how long should I wait? How many of you are happy that you upgraded? Leopard works just fine for me, so I don't want to mess that up for no real reason...

Opinions?

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

If you have a spare drive to clone your current leopard disk then do it now.

If you don't... you have no business even considering it. This applies to any upgrade.

3. jointsmoking macrumors regular

RIGHT NOW!!!

Seriously, don't wait another minute. Grab a tasty beverage from the fridge and in no time at all you too will be enjoying Snow Leopard Goodness.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO it!

4. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

How about this Saturday at about 3pm?

Seriously, Snow Leopard works fine. Chances are you won't have a problem. If you want it, install it!

Partition your drive and install it on the new partition if you're that worried!

5. dean4tech macrumors newbie

It's OK!

It's currently working smoothly and great on my imac no crashes and seems to be running more smoother than leopard.

6. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Works flawlessly on both my macs (see sig.) so i would recommend doing it asap. I did a clean install on both of mine.

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Hollerz beat me to it, dang.

But, I'd go ahead and update to 10.6.1. It really is great having some of the little changes.

8. matt07lx thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I'm gonna go for it - as soon as I get my new Lacie rugged drive to make a hard drive clone first....

9. j2048b macrumors 6502a

what is the best app to clone the drive ? and are they REAL complete clones that can be popped in and used as if it were the original disk drive?

thanks

(i need to update as well, but want to install it on a clean drive, or copy mine!)

thnks

10. dean4tech macrumors newbie

You'll need the required updates after you buy SL,check my videos on YouTube info might be helpful:dean4tech

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with SL, I had a small issue during the install but overall it was a smooth transition.

Do a search here because you're not the first person to ask this and you'll see the clear majority of people are very happy with SL

12. sputacus macrumors regular

I use SuperDuper. Carbon Copy Clone is another good one. A clone is a complete, bootable copy of your primary drive. I personally clone to an external drive that is connected to my FW800 port...

13. Steve-M macrumors regular

I upgraded to snow leopard with out any problems. It worked perfectly in fact. Several months later, I decided to do a clean install, just to see if there was a difference ( I've read so much about clean installs here don't you know ;) ). Honestly, I can not tell any difference between the upgrade and a clean install. They both work very well, just like any good unix based OS should. I see no reason for you to wait, other than following through with your plan to back up your data.

14. atheros07 macrumors member

Install it. Snow Leopard works fine and is faster than Leopard. I was also thinking of waiting until 10.6.2 came out; now I'm kicking myself for waiting so long (I installed it 2 weeks ago). I've noticed 2 minor bugs but they barely affect me at all--- SL also fixed some bugs that I used to have in Leopard.

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

If you waited more than 30 days after you bought it, the install disk is no longer good. Take it to the closest Apple store for a new disk and install it right away.

16. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Why is this??

17. Steve-M macrumors regular

It was a joke. Install disk do not time out.

18. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

even leopard had bugs, everything does. Just install and enjoy the new features

19. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea