When should I sell my MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by houssein31, Jan 24, 2015.

  1. houssein31 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    #1
    I have a MacBook Air 13inch with 8gb of ram and 256 of SSD (2013 model) and I want to upgrade to the 13inch pro. I was wondering at what point should I sell it (on eBay or craigslist) before the lauch of the new one and before the prices drops.

    The prices on eBay for the same model with about the same specs are about 1000-1200$. Do you think that if I decide to sell it a couple of weeks before the anouncement of the new ones in the summer, it would sell at that price?
     
  2. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #2
    Definitely sell it before the announcement. Since you know what you want (13"MBP) and there doesn't seem to be any respectable rumors about the 13"MBP there is no harm in upgrading now.

    There is a slim chance that, depending upon what Apple announces re:12" MBA, that your 13" MBA may INCREASE in desirability. But that is slim and I wouldn't risk it myself.
     
  3. houssein31 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2013
    #3
    The only reason why I'm hesitant in selling it now is because I'm afraid the upgrades on the new ones coming out this summer might be worth the wait...
     
  4. 12091449 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2015
    #4
    the question is what do you want from 13 pro?
    because i don't see much difference between the two in terms of performance
    the extra cost to Air is to buy its retina monitor, but for most people, retina's super high resolution is not necessary unless you need it to process high quality photos or something in need of its resolution.

    if you just want to upgrade your laptop you should sell it before its next model (at least a month before announcement, because you can't be sure that someone will definitely buy your Air )
     
  5. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

    marshallbedsaul

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    Maryland
    #5
    You should keep the air, unless you really need the pro. Is the air limiting what you can do?(work,school)
    Far as selling I would get rid of it asap!, so many retailers are dropping the msrp weekly. My current macbook air was purchased 3 weeks ago and the price has dropped 100.00. (best buy credited me the difference):apple:
     
  6. technosix macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2015
    Location:
    West Coast USA
    #6
    After years of strong predictable resale values, high volume mass market sales are now causing values to drop at a much faster rate. Therefore it's best to sell immediately if the resale price is important to you. Waiting is now a luxury that has a big price.
     
  7. 617aircav Suspended

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2012
    #7

    Well it when you want. Are you going to sell it and be without a computer?
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    The sooner you sell it, the more money you get it, but then you'll be w/o a laptop. Sell it when you're ready to buy a new one.
     
  9. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #9
    The new Air is rumored for an early 2015 release, not a summer release.
     
  10. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #10
    The 12" MBA is, I've not followed the MBA rumors very closely, do you expect to see 11/13" MBAs to roll out at the same time?
     
  11. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

    T'hain Esh Kelch

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2001
    Location:
    Denmark
    #11
    I assume they will do as they did with the retina MBPs. Roll out new models, and then let the old model stay as-is, until they are dicontinued. Ie. no updated version of the old models.
     

Share This Page