When should I sell?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by timothyleigh, Jul 24, 2007.

1. timothyleigh macrumors newbie

Dear All,

I have a 20" 1.8Ghz G5 iMac, which I am thinking of selling in order to buy the new model that's due to be released soon. Models similar to mine are selling for around £650 on eBay, which isn't half bad.

Queue problem: I'm off on a three week trip, and probably won't have time to upload or manage an eBay listing, so I'll have to sell it when I return, which will no doubt be after the new model is released!

Do you think that my iMac will sell for significantly less once the newer model is released? I.e. should I try to sell it whilst I'm away or just wait until I return?

I know this isn't an interesting topic, but I would be extremely grateful for your input.

Thanks in advance!

Tim

2. Scannall macrumors member

Just wait till you return.

Get your new machine, hook them up via Firewire and use the Migration Assistant to get your new one set up and going faster.

3. MacPossum macrumors 6502

MacPossum

I'd probably say that your iMac will most likely sell for less once the new model is released for the simple fact that your G5 iMac will now be two generations behind, instead of one. That being said, I'm sure someone will still be willing to buy it after the new model is released, the G5 iMac is a wonderful computer, I own one myself.

If you want to get the most out of your iMac, sell it before the new model is released... if you don't need a computer right away.

4. Matt342 macrumors regular

You can wait. Apple computers don't loose value like PCs. I sold a 2nd generation Mac Mini (G4) that I bought for $500 after 3rd generation Mac Minis came out for $450 so I only lost $50 even though newer models were out!

~Matt

5. Maxington macrumors 6502

/agree. Migrate then sell. Don't worry about the release. People now are already expecting the new iMac so you may already have missed your chance to get a little more money.