When should I upgrade my HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dubhe, Apr 13, 2008.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

My BlackBook 250 GB HD is already full after only three weeks! Mainly due to Boot Camp, and installing all of the scenery for x-plane...

Anyway, my question is about the hard drives Apple use in the MB, is it known to be a reliable unit? I remember on my old PB I upgraded the HD after about two years as it became noisy and I didn't want to risk it.

I don't need to upgrade yet, I believe the current maximum that will fit is 320 GB, is this likely to go up in the future?

Also, what make of drives are most reliable? I was thinking about Western Digital.

2. efp722 macrumors regular

whats xplane and what are you using you blackbook for? i have 250gig macbook running parallels with about 10 gigs of music and another 10 gigs of movies and i still have 160 gigs. granted we are probably using our computers for different things but DAMNN dude you filled that up fast hahah

3. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

x-plane is a flight sim, and it takes up 60 GB
    itunes and iphoto are another 40 GB
    My work files another 10 GB
    home movies that I am working on, another 45 GB
    applications etc fill most of the rest!

It isn't a problem, when I run out I will take x-plane off or run it from DVD, my point was bigger will be better, I work a lot away from home so like not to have too many discs etc to carry around.

I could get a 320 GB now, but if there is bigger coming and the Apple standard drive is good for a year or so, then I'll wait.

4. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Samsung has (or is about to) release a 9.5mm 2.5" 500GB HDD, so that will physically fit in a MacBook (I am guessing the firmware will recognize it).

5. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

Now we're talking, guess it'll be expensive though...

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

$299 list.

7. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

shouldn't be too too bad...

8. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Not sure about that. Western Digital's are going for $179 for the 320gb. That's pretty cheap. Almost $0.50 per gig compared to about 2 years ago when it was about $1.00/gb

Peace:cool:

9. sdp macrumors member

take the home movies and put them on a firewire drive and work off that.

i don't know how imovie deals with movie media, but in FCS the 'rule of thumb' is never to have your media on the system drive.