Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
I got the first 15" MBP Retinas back in June of 2012 when they came out. It was a terrific upgrade over my 2006 MBP of course and it's been solid for the past couple years.

My only question is when/if I should consider upgrading. I usually have 2 schools of thoughts here: Use my high-end laptop for as long as physically possible (last time was 6 years) and then flat out buy a new years later. Or upgrade periodically, selling the old laptop for more cash as it's still relevant and functional, and spending only a little bit to always have the latest and greatest.

My experience over the decades has been that you'll spend the same amount in the end doing either methods, but with the later you're always going to have a speedy machine, but there's a hassle in selling and then buying new machines.

So, is it worth it? What will the differences be with MBPr release this year and my 2012?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How do you use the computer? What tasks do you execute on it, photoshop, facebook??

Its hard to say if its worthwhile to upgrade now or wait. Personally if you don't have a need, i.e., it fails to do what you want, then waiting is usually the best advise.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
How do you use the computer? What tasks do you execute on it, photoshop, facebook??

Its hard to say if its worthwhile to upgrade now or wait. Personally if you don't have a need, i.e., it fails to do what you want, then waiting is usually the best advise.

I'm in Architecture, but its for personal home use. Traditionally in school I needed the best graphics and performance, but now a days it's mostly just being online. I do process and convert a lot of video. But I use less and less photoshop and the like, and even less video games.

What I'm wondering is, is the 2014 (and anticipated 2015) models that much faster that I'd notice it? Maybe getting a 512GB SSD? I have hacked my Time Capsule to store my iTunes library, so 256 hasn't proven to be so bad. Maybe double RAM would also be a big help?

Honestly the only thing I WISH I could have is 802.11 ac, but I'd have to upgrade my Time Capsule too then.

gametime10

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2006
- To make your second option work, you also have to be willing to buy used, or at least refurbished. That adds a bit of work and risk (usually mitigated if the machine is still under AppleCare), but you do save quite a bit form buying brand new. Additionally, since Apple does these refreshes that are minimal upgrades, you can save quite a bit on the previous year's model (ex: late 2013 vs. mid 2014), while still having basically the same technology.

- If you're willing to open up your computer, you can do a couple of simple upgrades to your 2012 rMBP that might take care of your itch to upgrade. Here's a thread about upgrading to wireless AC:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1521466/

I just did this upgrade on my 2012 rMBP and it's working perfectly. The SSD can also be upgraded and there are a few third-party SSD options, in addition to buying an original Apple SSD on eBay. Just make sure you buy the right parts.

- In my mind, the biggest reason to upgrade to a newer 15" rMBP (late 2013/mid 2014) is for more native 4K capabilities. You can make it work with the 2012, but from people's description of how to get it working, it seems to be a real pain.

beatledud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2006
- To make your second option work, you also have to be willing to buy used, or at least refurbished.

Maybe you're misunderstanding the second method. It's sell my current MBP every 1-2 years and buy New. You'd have to spend a few hundred bucks each time you sell and buy new, but the point is if you did this every year for 6 years, it be the same amount of money as buying a brand new laptop outright once every 6 years.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I got the first 15" MBP Retinas back in June of 2012 when they came out. It was a terrific upgrade over my 2006 MBP of course and it's been solid for the past couple years.

My only question is when/if I should consider upgrading. I usually have 2 schools of thoughts here: Use my high-end laptop for as long as physically possible (last time was 6 years) and then flat out buy a new years later. Or upgrade periodically, selling the old laptop for more cash as it's still relevant and functional, and spending only a little bit to always have the latest and greatest.

My experience over the decades has been that you'll spend the same amount in the end doing either methods, but with the later you're always going to have a speedy machine, but there's a hassle in selling and then buying new machines.

So, is it worth it? What will the differences be with MBPr release this year and my 2012?

If it ain't broke why replace it?

I still have my work-issued early-2013 15" rMBP (2.4/8/256) that's identical to yours except for the 0.1GHz faster processor. Still does everything I throw at it.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
If it ain't broke why replace it?

I still have my work-issued early-2013 15" rMBP (2.4/8/256) that's identical to yours except for the 0.1GHz faster processor. Still does everything I throw at it.
His is the 2012 version. Sata ssd, Ivy Bridge and slower gpu.

webs1

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
My MO is to wait until I NEED a new machine, or until I just don't want to use the one I have anymore - the longer you wait, the more machine you'll get for your buck. But don't fall into the trap of waiting because something better will come out soon - if you keep doing that, you'll never get a new laptop.

Airboy1466

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2015

The new release of Broadwell isnt that significant of a change from the current haswell so if you absolutely need to upgrade i say go ahead you wont be missing out on much read my current thread if you want to know more about the broadwell release

Woochoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
If you calculated that both methods are similar in economic terms, and the latter one provides you new machine every year, then it's a personal decision.

The only reason I'd see to take the 2nd option is you being happy, and having new machine every year. But not really becuase you need it as it's for home stuff (not even profeisonal work)

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

When it either:

A. Dies
B. No longer does want you want it do to in a timely manner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.