iPhone 6(S)(+) When Should I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itzcarterhall, Jul 14, 2019.

1. itzcarterhall macrumors newbie

itzcarterhall

I have an iPhone 6s, (64gb) and I’m constantly running out of battery life and/or storage, and it has many other problems. I planned on purchasing one of the new iPhones in the fall, but I have heard a great deal about the 2020 iPhones, but I don’t know if my current iPhone will last until then.

2. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You have a need now. You are essentially asking if you should act on your current need or wait for something you think you want in the hope that your need doesn't bite you in the ass while waiting for the thing you want.

Only you can make that choice. But since you are asking for opinions, my thought on the matter is that right now the 2020 iPhone does not exist. If my current phone was falling apart I wouldn't try to make it last to get something that doesn't even exist yet.

Apple can change specs, features, design, anything before a design is finalized. So whatever rumors you are hearing are just that - rumors. Maybe they pan out, maybe they don't. It's a gamble and not one I'd be willing to take only to find out I'm not getting what I expected.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Either replace your battery or if you can, wait until September. 2020 is still a _long_ ways away. I’d even recommend the current XS, unless you’re pressed to upgrade at this very moment, the biggest feature coming to the 2019 iPhone is the ‘triple lens camera.’ Otherwise, 5G/USB-C transition for 2020.

4. pika2000 macrumors 603

I also have a 64GB 6s, and other than the measly battery life, performance is still great for 2019.
    First thing, check if your iPhone is eligible for a free battery replacement from Apple. Mine is and I have taken advantage of it twice. Note that the 6s battery life is not that great to begin with, even with a new battery, but that will definitely buy you some time.

5. now i see it macrumors 68040

it's my opinion (if you want to buy an unused current iPhone) that the best iPhone to get is the previous year's iPhone when the new ones are just announced in September.

It best to wait until Sept/October to buy the "old" phone because the iOS version it runs on and shipped with originally will be essentially bug free. No beta testing for a year like all the early adopters have to do. No endless iOS updates throughout the year.
    Just buy the phone with the last and most stable version of that iOS already in it and be done with it. & if you want the phone to stay peppy, never update the OS again.

6. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

7. SalisburySam macrumors member

SalisburySam

ALL grades depend on two things: your ability to pay for them, and whether you feel the differences are worth the cost. Those differences could include the fact that your existing phone is unreliable, assuming a newer one would be more so. Has nothing to do with what may or may not come out in the future, unless that device will deliver to you a must-have feature any existing device does not have, and you can pay the freight.

Applies to iPhones, washers, cars, spouses, religions, education, and just about everything else.

8. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My 2 1/2 year old Iphone 6s was working just fine on battery life, I always installed the latest IOS updates. Then all of a sudden out of the clear blue battery life dropped by over 50 %. I had planned to keep it for at least a year longer, but I was qualified for a upgrade by my carrier, so I bought a new Iphone. I was kind of bummed because I really liked my 6s.