When should upgrading take place?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marty1990, Jul 6, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I have a 13" MacBook Pro, bought in November last year. I have the new iPad bought two days ago. I study graphic design.

When would I realistically need to upgrade before my equipment is out of date? I fear the the iPad would need to be upgraded in the next year or so, but my MacBook, when would that need replacing?

What do you think?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

When it no longer performs the functions and tasks you require it to do
    No need to upgrade as long as it is doing its job :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I still use a 4 year old MBP that does everything I need it to do, and it does it well. I won't replace it until it no longer meets my needs, or when I just get the urge for something different. There is no set time when your Mac needs to be replaced. It's completely dependent on your wants and needs.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

I still use a Late 2006 MacBook (sig). It's still fine today for 90% of what I need. The only thing it doesn't meet is gaming. I got along for a while with WinXP in Bootcamp - it runs Portal, AO, and League of Legends just fine, but the list of games I want to play (Portal 2, Diablo 3, future releases) has gotten too long for me, so I'm in the market for a new computer. Most likely won't be a Mac, but I'll hold onto this MacBook for some other use.

6. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

When you feel that it is noticeably slow for what you are doing, it is probably time to upgrade.

On the other hand, if you would like to use the state-of-art equipment and you can afford it, you may upgrade whenever a new generation is out.

I usually use each computer 3 to 5 years before I upgrade. However, I have 3 or 4 computers at a time so that I get a new computer every one or two years.