When starting a new laptop, what are the first things you do to ensure longevity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by royalgfx1, Oct 27, 2014.

1. royalgfx1, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

royalgfx1 macrumors member

I just bought a brand new 2014 MBPr, installed Yosemite off the bat, and straight off, there's some definite lag in certain animations such as going into Expose/Spaces etc.

I feel like I've ****ed the laptop already, or it's more likely a bug. I was wondering what you guys do to prevent bad **** happening to your laptop down the line. I remember on my old MBP 2011, it was recommended to turn off Automatic Graphics Switching and what not, but, yeah.

edit: oh, and sometimes the text in the menu bar disappears in dark mode for some reason.

2. CarreraGuy macrumors regular

CarreraGuy

Well the deed is done but if you can go back to Mavericks until Yosemite "settles down" I'd do that.

I've been "onboard" since Snow Leopard and so far <knock on wood> Mavericks has been the most predictable and stable of them all since.

Since you just bought it and hopefully don't have too much time invested in it can you re-install from factory and keep Mavericks on for a while?

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I think if you remove Yosemite you'd be throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Yosemite has some cool time-savers such as phone and SMS continuity that alone would make up for a bit of lag on some transitions. Is you machine so new it might still be indexing Spotlight?

To prevent "bad stuff happening", just be careful what you ask it to do, some users expect to be able to load up a laptop with every app they own then balk when it slows down, like anything, be choosy about what you ask it to do and if it slows down because you've loaded it up, unload it by closing some apps....

Oh and practice normal safe computing, take care about which app sources you use etc etc

No idea about Dark Mode sorry, I don't use it.

4. royalgfx1 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I bought a Macbook Pro, because I need the power for Ableton. The coolest feature about this MBP is that it doesn't take 14 seconds to open up System Preferences anymore.

I doubt it's indexing, because there's really nothing to index.

5. HotIce macrumors regular

Use it like any other laptop. I have a 2014 RMBP with 16 GB Ram and 1TB HD. Yosemite lags, but that's up to Apple to fix.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

rMBP's are laggy in my experience, pushing so many pixels with an integrated card doesn't help too much. You didn't do anything wrong, that's just how they work.

As far as what I do when first using it? I turn it on and off I go. It's a machine, it has no feelings or preferences or ways it prefers to be treated.

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I have a similar experience with my 2012 rMBP running 10.8. The first time I hit expose in a while it stutters a bit but then it's ok for a while. Switching spaces also stutters a bit. Seems to be a software issue though.

8. rmackner macrumors member

Strange I run 10.10 on a '10 MBP core 2 and have zero issues with anything related to the OS. If anything it runs way better now then when I had 10.6 on it way back.