When swapping out your phone, does Apple "wipe" your old one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by btownguy, Jul 3, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

So I'm fed up with my slow wifi on my new 3GS. I've had several friends test theirs and they get close to their home circuit speeds over wifi. I get 600 Kbps on a 3.0 Mbps line. So I've decided to take it back to the Apple store and have it swapped out. Will they wipe my old phone right there so I don't have to worry about any of my data being compromised?

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

probably best if you do the total wipe yourself which is what I did.

be sure to do a 'final' sync first (you didn't mention that ..... )

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by final sync? You mean I should sync so that iTunes has anything new that my iPhone has? How do I wipe my phone before I go to the apple store?

4. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

isn't 600 Kbps on a 3.0 Mbps line about what you should be getting?

5. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

meaning just do 'one more sync' to your computer (so all contacts are up to date, etc) then use the General field on the iPhone to do the wipe. I believe its called Erase All Settings.

the wipe takes about two hours.

yep HOURS

6. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is it? I get 2.8 Mbps on all other wifi gear in my house. That's a pretty large gap.

7. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know someone with a 10 Mbps line and she gets 8 Mbps. That's 80% of her line speed. Going by that I should be getting 2.4 Mbps.

8. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

sims card? :D
    [​IMG]

I have a 1.5 MegaBITS per second line, and i get around 200 KiloBYTES per second. your line speed is double mine, so i would expect you to get around 400kiloBYTES per second, yet you're getting 600. i don't see the problem...?

9. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What speeds do you get from a wifi laptop? Do you think those speeds from your iPhone are acceptable? Others seem to get pretty close to their circuit speeds on their iPhones.

10. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

haha :D

11. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

i think you're confusing Bits and Bytes. a Byte is 8 Bits, so you will not download at 3 megaBYTES per second with an 3 megaBITS per second line. 600 kiloBYTES per second is what you should be getting.
    if you want, speedtest.net has an iphone app available in the app store for free. you can check what kind of connection you're getting there. (remember, it will tell you in BITS.)

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Just make sure you do a backup sync before you go to the store. They'll probably just take the defective iPhone and give you the replacement which when you connect to iTunes at home will restore it using that last backup you did. That's how it worked for my dad at an apple store recently.

If you are uncomfortable handing over the phone with your information, might want to erase all that. I'd probably just delete all apps that have important information when I go there, and probably unsync all the music prior to that. I'd be afraid if I'd erase everything it might accidentally start a new back-up from that point.

13. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

No, but he should be getting 600 KB/s on a 3.0 mbps line.

14. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not confusing anything. I'm using the speedtest.net app. I'm reporting speeds in Mbps. I should be getting speeds around 2.5 or so. I'm getting 0.5 or so, give or take.

15. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I have a 6Mbps line. Using the SppedTest.Net app I am getting 5.27 Mbps download and .91 Mbps upload. This is on a iPhone 3G (no S).

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

3GS on a 20/5 Fios connection and using the speedtest app I am getting:

11612 Kbits/sec down
    963 Kbits/sec up

17. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Actually, they don't wipe your iPhone right away. They first send it to a lab in Cupertino where they analyze your data, check your social networking connections, etc. so that they can better target you with future marketing campaigns. Then it's wiped. Any problems? :eek:

18. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

There is nothing wrong with your phone. But they do wipe it before giving it to a different customer.

19. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

When I swapped my iPhone last year, the Apple rep started the wipe in my presence and put it in the box.

20. Woz Beard macrumors regular

Woz Beard

I exchanged phones earlier tonight and I reset the settings.

I noticed the reset time is faster than previous generations. The process was finished within minutes.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Id not take a chance on having them wipe it. Beside even if they do, they may start looking at what you have before wiping it. Your information isn't safe, you need to take care of it yourself if not for the safety of your data, at least for your peace of mind.

22. sirenized macrumors regular

I had my 3G S swapped out yesterday and they did the wipe in front of me. In fact they had me hit the key twice to wipe. It only took about a minute to wipe the phone, the Mac genius was astonished.

23. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I believe that's because the 3GS uses encryption where as the 3G and 2G phone's do not.

It does take hours for the first 2 phone because everything needs to be erased. It takes a minute for the 3GS because it just needs to wipe out the encryption keys and what not.