When switching providers and keeping old phone number- how long does it take?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3 Peas, Jun 19, 2009.

1. 3 Peas macrumors newbie

I'm currently a Verizon customer- and want to keep my number.
    How LONG does it take from once you place your order until you're all set on your new phone? And do I have to have everything OFF my old phone first? It's a business phone and I'm worried about a lag between the 2 and clients not being able to get a hold of me if it's more than a day or so.

Thanks much!

2. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

When I went to the at&t store I was there for 2 hours, then again I was transferring 3 phone numbers.

3. 3 Peas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    One more question-- once your iPhone is active is your old phone totally dead? I mean- out of service and all new calls going to the iPhone?
    And I assume the old phone immediately has no service then, correct?

4. drew68 macrumors newbie

I switched from sprint and activated myself thru iTunes, took about 5 min. Your old phone looses service as soon as you switch, I watched as my data shut off on my sprint phone and recieved a text from Att on the iPhone.

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Funny you should ask this. I was able to make calls from the iPhone, BUT I was still getting calls on my Verizon phone. You need to carry both around and you'll get a text message saying porting was done 100%. So I had my Verizon phone, iPhone and my work phone.... I felt like a pimp haa haa

6. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I work for verizon, and the actual number port out takes between 2-24 hours. And when the number fully ports out it will disconnect on Verizon's side automatically. So make sure the number is active when you attempt the port. :)

EDIT: If it is a landline phone it could take 7-10 days.

7. dfcas macrumors newbie

I asked this question in my ATT store yesterday. I was told that to import a Verizon business land line to an iPhone would take about 7 days. You don't state whether your Verizon phone is a cell or land line.

I was told that it is faster to import a cell number.

8. levpa05 macrumors member

Verizon to ATT

We ported 4 phones over to AT&T. We were in the office for about 2 hrs and all ported over with in 3 hrs after leaving.