When the best time buy a computer for Sept 2009?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Baya87, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Baya87 macrumors member

My 3 year old ibook is on its last legs, but I want to wait as long as possible to buy a new one so that I have the newest version for when I start grad school in the Fall.

From my previous experience going into college in 2005, I bought my computer in July, and they came out with a new upgrade right afterwards. I have heard that the macbook series is updated twice a year, once around october, once around March?

Will this be true for this upcoming year? If so, I will buy right after the next upgrade. Any rumors on when this will be or what changes will be made? Is this a good idea?

(Also, I was looking at the new macbooks, and why don't they have any firewire outlets? that is what half of my external hardware uses.)

Thanks so much!

2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

Mabye on rev b of the macbooks

June/july time

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Sometime after June, if you live in the US.

Take advantage of the Back to School iPod promotion, and by then you'll have all your acceptance materials from your chosen institution, so you'll qualify for both the promotion and the education discount.

4. rmb7984 macrumors regular

rmb7984

Also, many states offer tax-free holidays during the back to school season. If you live in one of those states, and time it correctly, you can get a free iPod (with the back to school promo), the education discount, and pay no taxes. Now that's a hell of a discount!

5. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

If you look at The Buyer's Guide You will see that since 2002 Apple always introduce an updated ibook/Macbook in spring and autumn either April of May and then October or November. So your choice is rev B in April of rev c in October, simple :)

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. Wait for the updates which will probably be issued in the autumn, and buy then if you like what you see. Otherwise, choose a refurb, as you'll get a superb computer at a generous discount.

Cheers

7. Baya87 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. How are you guys figuring that June will be the next release date? I looked at the buyer's guide and it seems that last year it was in February, and the year before that, it was in May. Any chances it would be earlier like this again?
    And they probably won't be making huge changes will they? What could they do? Make the computers a little cheaper? Tweak something here or there?

And Mac school promotions normally start in June it seems?

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Since Apple switched to the Nvidia Single Chip Integrated Chipset, hard to look at Intel alone now.

Now you need to look at Nvidia's upgrade roadmap and Intels for release dates.

9. Baya87 thread starter macrumors member

Any new news????????

I have been looking at the buyer's guide by I have not seen any signs of an updated computer approaching. It is almost March, shouldn't it by now at least say "Don't buy - Updates Soon"?

Any new guesses on when the Q2 upgrades will be out? (March, April, May etc....) is there a chance nothing will come until fall?? Will the Q2 upgrades even be that big??? (I am hearing a lot about things coming in Q4, but I am hoping to buy before then..) :confused:

Thank you!!!!!!!!

(Thank you to the previous responders too)

10. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

If they don't upgrade it in the Summer, they will still offer their back to school program. They will also start pre-installing Snow Leopard into their computers, so there will be a small change if they don't update.

11. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

If you do the math with the average life cycle for a macbook then they SHOULD come out in mid to late April. This is for sure though(just look at the mac mini and how over due it is). Then again the macbook is apples best selling machine so they always need to keep it appealing.

They should update the notebooks with a slight speed bump before or right at the start of summer. Apple won't wait till nehalam(sp) to update. That update as many have said will come late fall to early 2010.

12. The SpinDoctor macrumors regular

Similar situation here in the UK, Ideally i want a MBP before the summer break, but i am waiting for nehalem as it kicks ass.