iPhone When the iPhone 5 comes out - will you wait for jailbreak to upgrade?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jman13, Jul 15, 2012.

?

Upgrading to the new iPhone - will you wait for a jailbreak?

1. I will be buying the new iPhone as soon as it's released - the jailbreak can wait.

31 vote(s)
    67.4%
  2. I will be buying the new iPhone as soon as a jailbreak is available for it.

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  3. I'm planning to skip this upgrade cycle

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Jman13 macrumors 68000

I'm relatively new to the jailbreaking side, having owned the iPhone 3Gs, 4 and 4S, and just having done my first jailbreak on Thursday. Of course, now I'm wishing I'd done it much sooner, as the jailbreak upgrades are frankly like getting a new iOS update, but better.

I had always wondered when a new iOS version would come out, why jailbreakers would just stick to the old firmware with the JB rather than upgrade, especially when iOS 5 came out with better notifications and such....and now I understand.

Heck, it's only been a few days for me and I would NOT want to lose the JB. So, the question to you is, for those who are planning to upgrade to the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it), will you early adopt and live without a jailbreak for a while, or will you hold on to your current device until there is a confirmed untethered jailbreak for the new iPhone on iOS 6?

2. BuckeyeMac macrumors 6502

Hmm that's a good question. I haven't thought about that before.

I just jailbroke my first phone about 3 weeks ago (my 3Gs), and I've been up for an upgrade since March/April. I will jailbreak every iPhone I have from now on. But I will probably upgrade my phone and stick with stock OS, until the JB is released

3. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, coming from a 3Gs, I'd definitely upgrade...from my 4S, I'm not sure.

I think I'm going to wait for a jailbreak, because actually it feels like I just got a new phone.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

I'm honestly not sure yet. I've only had an iPhone 4 and a 4S and I only jailbroke my 4S. I can't see myself going back to stock iOS. I might not even get the next iPhone because I'm not very impressed with what it might look like from the rumors.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Simple answer..
    Buy the phone as soon as it comes out, plug it in, save the hash and APTicket files as soon as TinyUmbrella is updated for iOS6

That way you are "in on the ground floor" with regard to any restores which may be necessary in the future.

If you pay attention as you read, you will notice that all hackers and long time members of the jailbreak community get new iDevices on release day.

It is the late comers and dabblers who just decide at some later time to buy the new models/

6. Jman13 thread starter macrumors 68000

As a newcomer to the jailbreak thing - is the tiny umbrella blobs saving thing necessary for regular jail breakers, or only if you unlock the phone as well?

Thinking a bit, is it because if you need to restore, but the latest iOS doesn't have a JB, you're stuck on stock until a new JB is found?

7. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

Just got a 4s when it came out, not eligible for an upgrade

8. traumuhhtize macrumors member

9. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If you plan on eventually buying it then it might be a good idea to get it when it gets released or before they start shipping them with newer software. dhlizard knows what he's talking about

10. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I'm in this camp. Get it right away so you're guaranteed to have a phone with the correct firmware if/when it's jailbroken. My original 4S had a hardware issue so I got it replaced. I got my replacement 4S right when apple started shipping the phones with 5.1.1. So I lost my jailbreak, I lost the ability to downgrade since the phone came with 5.1.1 and I had to wait a few months for the 5.1.1 jailbreak to come out.

So if they ever successfully release a jailbreak, it's a great idea to get the phone ASAP so you can get "in on the ground floor" and from that point, YOU can control which firmware you have on your phone.

This is helpful because if the hackers say they are working on a 6.0 jailbreak but before it gets released, Apple releases 6.0.1, now you know that if you want to jailbreak its critical that you stay on 6.0 and not upgrade. But once apple releases that new 6.0.1 firmware, all the new phones that get shipped will start coming with 6.0.1 and therefore you will not be able to jailbreak because you are not on a compatible firmware. Obviously there are other factors that dictate whether or not you'll be able to jailbreak, but generally speaking it's always best to have the phone early on so you can control whether or not you'll be on the correct firmware if/when the jailbreak gets released to the public.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

After all using a new iPhone for 8 weeks while waiting for a new jailbreak will not kill you.
    It may frustrate you but it will not kill you.

12. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

When I had a jailbroken iphone 4 I purchased the 4s on release day. It felt like forever before they released a jailbreak for it. If it was only themes and visual tweaks then I would have been fine, but I found that productivity-wise I lost time with the non-jailbroken 4s. If someone handed me a 5 for free on release day then I would use it, but I cannot justify spending the money on a iphone 5 when I will lose many of the tweaks I love.

This is of course depending if there are some amazing new features that the 5 will have that I am unable to do on the 4s that would justify losing the jailbreak. Although I badly want a larger screen that won't be enough to sway me. So I will probably be purchasing the 5 when the jailbreak is released.

13. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

I'm not sure if I'm going to get this iPhone or not, but I am sure that if I do, I will wait till the JB is out.

Maybe sell my iPhone to Gazelle.com and get $200 back for it.

14. ACardAttack macrumors 6502

ACardAttack

I agree with this, better to be safe than sorry and waiting even longer

15. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

16. solo118 macrumors 65816

Would definitely get it as soon as possible, and just wait it out. I did it with the 4S and was actually getting used to not having JB. I was damn happy when in came out in January though!!

Hopefully there will always be a way to get a JB, but if there isnt I can always live without it.

17. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

I'll likely wait as I'm not sure my next phone will be an iPhone. I'm considering trying an Android for a while as I've never tried it.

If I were already sold on the iPhone 5, I would definitely get it day of release for the downgrade-ability the others spoke about. If you NEED a jailbreak, you can always buy the 5, and keep using your 4S/4 until the JB for the 5 is released (assuming you haven't sold it).

18. gkiv macrumors newbie

You can't keep using your old 4s cause the 5 runs a different sim card, the new sim would be activated